All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I'm new to this forum so if I break any rules by accident please feel free to correct me ,spence

I have been given a 1999 corsa b 1.2 sxi by a friend, but the car shows signs of head gasket failure, but I am not curtain so I am hoping someone can help me out. The issues that lead me to belive the had gasket has failed are black deposits above max coolent level, dark coloured Mayo in cylinder head, intermittent steam when hot, a bubbling noise from n/s/f dash and thin brown coloured oil in sump also their is a slight smell of combustion gasses in the coolent tank. Any help is appreciated thanks in advance spence.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Hi there, sounds a bit suspicious, but a head gasket can fail in several ways, sounds like you think you have oil in the water, or water in the oil, it could just be it hasn't had an oil change lately or it might have done a lot of short journey, that would make it sludge up....you can get a kit off ebay these days for checking for combustion gases in the cooling system, its a blue liquid you put in a tester in the top of the radiator and run the engine up and see if the blue liquid turns yellow or green...if it does the head gaskets gone....the bubbling noise could be an air lock in the heater pipes....

Think its a matter of whether you want to do it or not, if its a petrol timing chain one it does get a bit involved....good luck from Fred in Essex.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Fred , I looked in to the hydrocarbon tester they seem quite handy might have to pick one up soon, but the this morning after 5 minutes of running, the cooling system is pressurised and when the bubbling stops it starts to burn coolent ,so I assume This is because the pressure in the cooling system has overcome cylinder compression so it leaks in and unfortunately it is a timing chain so I think a new engine would be the best bet. Another worrying thing I noticed is that their was basically just water in the cooling system so maybe even a corroded or cracked block/head could be the problem thanks for the reply, spence

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Ok Spence well if it has done over 100,000 miles it may need a new engine, if its done 50 to 70k i wouldn't change it, i would be inclined to make sure you have anti freeze in it, change the oil and filter and just use it, keep an eye on the oil and water now and then...if it uses a lot of water and you cant see any leaks anywhere, i could be the head gasket, if you want to do it yours self there are several U tube clips on it...good luck from Fred.

Thanks Fred , I looked in to the hydrocarbon tester they seem quite handy might have to pick one up soon, but the this morning after 5 minutes of running, the cooling system is pressurised and when the bubbling stops it starts to burn coolent ,so I assume This is because the pressure in the cooling system has overcome cylinder compression so it leaks in and unfortunately it is a timing chain so I think a new engine would be the best bet. Another worrying thing I noticed is that their was basically just water in the cooling system so maybe even a corroded or cracked block/head could be the problem thanks for the reply, spence

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.