All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Joanne went out today to start the car up and let it run for a couple of minutes just to keep it ticking over while she's not using it at the moment, but when she turned the key it just makes a moaning sound and cuts out. Also when she puts the ignition on the lights come on and then when she goes to turn it over the lights dim and fade out - don't know if this is normal since I don't drive yet. She said last time she went out driving in it for a practice lesson with my flatmate the petrol seemed to be quite low so my conclusions are that either the battery is dead or there is bugger all petrol in it lol.

What are your opinions?

Hopefully her step dad will be able to sort it tomorrow when he comes to do front seats and exhaust etc but would be good to know its nothing serious as she's a little worried.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Sounds like a dead battery by the fact the lights dim when you go to turn it on. It may need bumping off then leaving to run for a bit, or taking for a short drive to get a bit of charge back into it.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea admittedly it hasn't been started in a few wekks which makes me suspect the battery. Do you reckon I will need a new battery or just get some jump leads on it?

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Only one way to find out, get it started, run it for a bit. Then try it again tomorrow. If it starts up you're ok, if not get a new battery.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Between £20-40 new.

·
Registered
393 Posts
its a bad idea to just start it up and leaving it ticking-over for a few minutes every so often while the car isn't in use. It won't give the battery a chance to recharge fully so you'll end up with symptoms like what you've found.
another symptom is because the engine hasn't warmed up fully by the time you've turned it off, the sump can fill with petrol and dilute the engine oil. if the oil level has creeped up the dipstick, give it a smell and see if you can smell petrol. if it's seriously run as well, you'll have to change the oil.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I don't have a clue about this, but is it possible to damage the ECU by jump starting it? I've heard that the power surge from another cars battery can damage them, is there any truth in this? Just thought this would be a good time to mention it as geebs is gonna try it by the sounds of things lol.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No her step dad is bring a jump start kit that you can set voltage etc on it to just give it enough to get the car running and is going to take it for a drive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts