All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, this is my first post so I apologise if I do something wrong!

I was driving down the motorway the other day and I broke down.

I checked the car before I set off and was happy to drive the journey from Newcastle down to Stafford, happy with oil levels and everything. I stopped off at a service station, then continued driving. About 5 minutes into that, the oil light started flashing, so I pulled over, popped the bonnet and it stunk of burning. I checked the oil and there was non in.

The tow man came along and had a look and said that the head gasket is probably blown and the oil was diluted, and that I'm probably better off buying a new car. An hour and a half later I arrived in Stafford and the tow man took the car off the back, and there was loads of oil on the platform.

I have no idea what is wrong and am worried, as I was quoted £351 from a Garage in Stafford.

This was Sunday night, and I've been checking the car and there's still some oil in the bottom (Magically) and the car does turn on.

I can't afford a lot at all, so It's really got me down about the whole situation. All I want to do is drive her :(

Any help would be great on this as I am not very good with cars.

Thanks for reading this (lengthy) post!!

Jonny

·
Registered
9,910 Posts
You would need to look at the engine area and try and work out where the oil is comming from. If the garage has quoted you this money. i'm assuming they looked at it and diagnosed a fault?

If it's the cylinder head gasket that's went than that's an average price for a garage to do the work i would say. It's not something a novice mechanic should really attempt either so if it's that which has failed it's either pay it and keep the car or source another car or engine

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi and thanks for your quick reply.

The man who towed me back home had a quick glance and said that it could be a number of things. I haven't had it to the garage because I'm scared to drive it there, as it stunk of burning last time I drove it, and I'm worried, lol.

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
I'm confused. You say a garage has quoted £351 - that is a very precise quote so they must have sussed what the problem is.

The best thing to do, since we can't see the car, is to ask them what they have diagnosed and what work they have quoted for. Then we can make some informed suggestions.

Otherwise it could be anything from a blown headgasket, leaking oil seal anywhere on the engine, cracked sump, - ie there is too a long a list of possible causes to guess at without more information.

What engine is it?

When was it last serviced?

If you top up the oil and turn it over what happens - including what do the exhaust fumes look like?

How is the coolant?

I know you say it stank of burning - if oil is leaking that will burn off on a hot engine. Or if the HG has gone then the engine will have overheated. So if you refill with oil & coolant keep a close eye on the temperature gauge.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks, I'll go do the things you suggested and let you know what it's like.

It's a Corsa C, 1.2 16V Sxi.

The drive belt was changed about 5 months ago, and I've had quite a few problems with it, as I got it off a boy racer who crashed it a few times.

Thank you for your quick replies!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts