All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I am hoping someone can help. I have a 2000 Corsa 1.7 DTI and for as long as I've owned it the clutch has been a little low. Around a month ago I noticed that it was becoming harder to put the car in gear and it started making that crunch noise when I put it in reverse.
After reading a helpful thread on here I found out how to adjust my clutch and so did that. Seemed to work a treat, slipping into gear easily and lost the embarassing crunch when going into reverse.
Since then I have had to adjust it up once more as it was gradually getting harder to change gear again.
Then last week, I was driving to work, went to change gear and just heard a very subtle "click" after which the car would not go in any gear at all! I managed to pull over, tried the gears stationary, still wouldnt go in. So I adjusted the clutch up again and managed to get the car in 2nd to pull off, it did go into 3rd too and I got it home.
I've assumed the clutch has gone and was just about to buy one for a mechanic to fit, however after reading a few other threads I'm wondering if it definately is the clutch, or could it be to do with the gearbox?
Any thoughts or advice greatly welcomed whilst I source a mechanic!!
Many thanks

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
If it won't go into gear with the engine off then it's not the clutch - more likely the linkage.

But if you can get gears with the engine off, but not when it's running, then it will be the clutch. Whether it's the cable or the clutch itself is impossible to say without seeing the car, or more information.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Taurus very helpful! It definitely went into gear when the engine was off because I remember thinking "ah thats done it" then I started the engine and again it was a struggle. Still think I'm better to get a mechanic to look prior to just assuming and buying a clutch. Out of interest, is there an easy way for me to tell just by looking whether or not its the clutch or cable? I do know I am adjusted right to the top of the cable now (not sure if thats the right terminology but I hope you know what I mean). It may be too complex to explain, in which case no probs :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts