All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I recently bought a old T-reg corsa (1999 I believe). It's a Corsa Breeze (12v 5d as far as I am aware, not really a car guy but I'm atleast trying!).

I had problems with knocking/tapping sounds when turning. It was originally on full lock, but I have noticed it recently with only small turns of the wheel (90 degrees or so).

Another issue is that it seems as though the handbrake gets stuck in place, and I have to put it in gear and sort of force it out. It then clicks and I have no further problems. Not a major issue, just a side question.

From research, I am led to believe it is my CV joint or something similar. Now I am someone who has a small anxiety problem, but rely on this car for work. I also have to drive about 90 miles up to Reading next week, and back again the next day. I am scared about doing 70mph down the moterway and my wheel falling off!

How long do CV joints last? Are they worn down still when driving in a straight line (i.e the moterway?).

Should I be OVERLY worried or have I still got a few months before I need to take it to a garage?

Due to work commitments and money issues (don't get paid till the end of the month), I can't yet take it to a garage.

Any ideas/advice?

LAST NOTES:
I have to keep driving the car to work, and I also HAVE to go to Reading. The hotel and stuff is paid for.
I am also not a car guy - not too sure what to look at for signs of ware.
It's my first car - probably not a massive issue but I'd still like to know what the issue is.

Should I be overly worried, or should I be good for now?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Hi there, yes it sounds like the Constant Velocity joints, mine does the same thing, been doing it for years, the first step is to repack the joints with grease, this would be a job for a garage, as if you don't put the boots back properly and they come off it will make hell of a mess, it sounds easy but isn't, trust me i have done mine twice and they still rattle, sometimes it cures it and sometimes it doesn't, i think they get worn, you can buy just the outer joints themselves, either pattern or genuine vauxhall ones...if it isn't too bad i wouldn't worry about it, if its bad, well do what you have to do...they wont get any better....they don't normally fail the MOT on it.

As for the hand brake, it sounds like it getting stuck on, i can think of 3 things that can cause that, either the cables are sticking in the guides, need to be oiled and greases, especially around the rear quadrants..also the brake shoes, the pivot on the shoe can stick or seize up, and the brake shoes them selves can stick on the back plate if they have never had grease on...

Hope that helps, from Fred in Essex.

[

Another issue is that it seems as though the handbrake gets stuck in place, and I have to put it in gear and sort of force it out. It then clicks and I have no further problems. Not a major issue, just a side question.

From research, I am led to believe it is my CV joint or something similar. Now I am someone who has a small anxiety problem, but rely on this car for work. I also have to drive about 90 miles up to Reading next week, and back again the next day. I am scared about doing 70mph down the moterway and my wheel falling off!

How long do CV joints last? Are they worn down still when driving in a straight line (i.e the moterway?).

Should I be OVERLY worried or have I still got a few months before I need to take it to a garage?

Due to work commitments and money issues (don't get paid till the end of the month), I can't yet take it to a garage.

Any ideas/advice?

LAST NOTES:
I have to keep driving the car to work, and I also HAVE to go to Reading. The hotel and stuff is paid for.
I am also not a car guy - not too sure what to look at for signs of ware.
It's my first car - probably not a massive issue but I'd still like to know what the issue is.

Should I be overly worried, or should I be good for now?

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there,

It doesn't seem to bad when turning left. Seems worse when cold? Also, it also seems worse if I turn while accelerating hard (coming out of a junction around 10mph). Above about 15mph, I don't think it does it. I am scared of getting stranded. Should I be fine for now? Probably another 3 weeks before I can go to the garage. Also, are there any telltale signs for the very end? So say, will I hear a different sound/constant sound towards the last 50 miles? it doesn't seem too bad for now, it's just more of a safety concern then anything.

Hi there, yes it sounds like the Constant Velocity joints, mine does the same thing, been doing it for years, the first step is to repack the joints with grease, this would be a job for a garage, as if you don't put the boots back properly and they come off it will make hell of a mess, it sounds easy but isn't, trust me i have done mine twice and they still rattle, sometimes it cures it and sometimes it doesn't, i think they get worn, you can buy just the outer joints themselves, either pattern or genuine vauxhall ones...if it isn't too bad i wouldn't worry about it, if its bad, well do what you have to do...they wont get any better....they don't normally fail the MOT on it.

As for the hand brake, it sounds like it getting stuck on, i can think of 3 things that can cause that, either the cables are sticking in the guides, need to be oiled and greases, especially around the rear quadrants..also the brake shoes, the pivot on the shoe can stick or seize up, and the brake shoes them selves can stick on the back plate if they have never had grease on...

Hope that helps, from Fred in Essex.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Its sounds like the right hand one to me, they turn at more of an angle turning right, where as the left one does the opposite, that goes at a greater angle turning left,,,i would have thought the more of and angle it was on the worse it would be, i don't think its dangerous, but in theory it could lock up, i have never heard of them doing it....the grease gets thicker in the cold weather inside the joint...Fred.

Hi there,

It doesn't seem to bad when turning left. Seems worse when cold? Also, it also seems worse if I turn while accelerating hard (coming out of a junction around 10mph). Above about 15mph, I don't think it does it. I am scared of getting stranded. Should I be fine for now? Probably another 3 weeks before I can go to the garage. Also, are there any telltale signs for the very end? So say, will I hear a different sound/constant sound towards the last 50 miles? it doesn't seem too bad for now, it's just more of a safety concern then anything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.