All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Hope you all had a good xmas ??

I hope someone can help me as im having problems with my car starting. At first I thought it was the battery but thats been on charge and still no joy. The car turns over but just wont start. Please could someone give me some ideas of what to do ?

The cars a 1.2 L reg Corsa.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Stew.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Put some petrol in mate. :)

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Yeah probably one of those two.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
can you hear the starter motor turning? if you can then check all your spark plugs are clean and are in properly, if that still doesnt work try some new plugs...

edit: also check your throttle cable isn't stupidly slack, cos mine used to cut out unless i was reving it, turned out that the throttle cable was too slack.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a look at the plugs and they were soaked in petrol so I changed them and still no luck. Some one said give the starter motor a tap with a hammer and see if its stuck. I will have to keep trying.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Here's some common things i've found that'll stop an 8v starting for no apparent reason:

Idle Speed Control Valve stuck wide open or shut, needs taking out and cleaning, should work ok after that (fairly reliable).

Water in the Distributor Cap, take the cap off and make sure the insides are dry and the inner contacts are ok, especially the centre one and the rotor arm, if they look damaged or badly blackened then best replace them. Check the connector underneath the distributor is ok too.

MAP sensor, found next to the coolant tank and has a rubber hose and green connector going into it, a bad connection or water in the connector here forever gives problems.

if its spinning over ok but isn't starting up like you said, it's probably a good idea to go around all the connectors and ignition lead connectors with some WD40 and try again. The most likely problem around this time of year is water getting into the electrics, but let us know how you get on :thumbs_up:

if the spark plugs are soaked in petrol, then chances are it's totally flooded, try this:

in the fuse box inside the car, find the fuse to the bottom right and 2nd from the right on the bottom row (should be a yellow plastic link and bigger than a fuse) and pull it out.

push the throttle pedal to the floor and try starting it in 10 second bursts with 10 seconds between bursts about 3-5 times.

with the ignition off, put the fuse back in and let go of the the throttle completely.

(do this really fast) turn the ignition straight to start and hold it until you're sure the engine has started, it'll cough and mis-fire quite a bit. if it dies, pull the fuse again and spin it over in bursts with the throttle down again before trying to start it normally with the fuse back in.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers for that Mark I finally got it going it was the engine it was flooded I had to take the plugs out afew times to get the petrol off them and then it eventualy fired up so fingers crossed its ok now.

Thanks anyway, Ill remember it for the future.

Stew.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
deathsythe:

my car idles really funny sometimes, iv nipped the idle valve up a bit (i think its the idle valve, the thing behind the throttle cable on ecotech 1.0 engines)
i think its the idlevalve cos if you open it then the revs go up, if u push it then they die.
but anyways, my car idles ok sometimes, the nsometimes will just drop and the whole car shaked, you think the valve could do with cleaning like you just said?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts