All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right.. It has been a while since i have posted anything intresting so thought i would show some of you this :). It my project for the last year of my course, am doing it with a few others in my college group.

Plan is to build it up and use it at Curborough & Bruntingthorpe for sprinting with an aim of Easter to be completly finished.

From what we know the car was used for aprentices to spray up at Austin/Rover and it was given to another local college years ago, since then it was given to us but as you can see it has been sat outside for years and there is not a single part to go with it :palm:.
We are yet to find any major rot although the whole shell needs seem welding, its made from pannels which means we can twist the shell very easily :shocked:.

Time to attack the under belly with an angle grinder :laugh: ... Dont have pictures of the results of that as i did the work :cool:

Thats all for now, will keep it upto date though as it is being worked on 3 days a week ATM.

Advise on good places to get spares for these would also be greatly apreciated, on a limited budget of around 3k so cheap :p

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what is a sprint mini, the guy we bought this mini off use to make them he tried explaining but made no sense :laugh:
Basicly you have to build it to certain specs, ours will be 1A < than 1400cc N/A engine. Has to built with FIA aproved saftey stuff etc.
Then you take it to a track, these are quite small and you only have one car on at once and complete timed laps thats about it really, nothing complex :).

·
Premium Member
8,351 Posts
have you had that on a jig?

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not as yet, As far as i know the body shop will be doing that along with the painting of it. We have the body shop in our college but it's not somthing that my course covers so i wont be doing any of that work unfortunatly

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The latest work from today :) .....

Also we had the donor car come in... Looks like it was used for a chicken pen or somthing was a right mess :laugh:. We are using this for the subframes ( Non fluid ), some of the running gear, hubs, pannels and other general bits and bobs. Needless to say it got torn apart today ;).

Seized 1.0 engine... no use to us as we have a 1275GT engine lined up already.

Anyone MOT'd worse? haha

The plan is to start stripping down the subframes next week and totaly overhaul them obviously throwing away the 1.0 and using all new parts to rebuild them.

Final product .... Looks like a VW imo.

Coments welcome :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Todays progress, Both subframes stripped and clutch/flywheel removed. This proved to be a pain in the.... Ended up having to buy a puller specifically for Mini's/Metros to get it off, wasn't going to budge even with Heat and massive pressure on it using a hydraulic 2 leg puller.
The aim of this is to see if the bearbox is any good to use with a 1275cc engine.

Picture time...

Front subframe looking quite clean!.. Going to see if my dad will powdercoat this for me next week.

Passenger door fitted, The top right had corner is still a mile out so the plan with that is to remove the spot welds and re-shape it a little.

Quick snap of the special removal tool ( Might be of use to someone for reference as to what it looks like ).

You can see at the bottom the oil is a milky colour, this is due to the block being full of water for unknown reasons. About 2/3 liters came out when we took the sump plug out :laugh:

Coments :). Kitson

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ahhh these are the symptoms i discovered with my 1.5TD last night
Block full of water = head gasket failure
Yeah that's one possibility the other is that the oil filler cap was missing so not sure if it's rain water. Either way the block is scrap lol.

Your cars done moon miles though hasn't it? .. Shouldnt cost much to sort if you do it yourself though mate.

·
Registered
9,910 Posts
Yeah that's one possibility the other is that the oil filler cap was missing so not sure if it's rain water. Either way the block is scrap lol.

Your cars done moon miles though hasn't it? .. Shouldnt cost much to sort if you do it yourself though mate.
It's cool now mate. I'm just a retard and for reasons can't explain managed to diagnose my oil level wrong
I.e i must have imagined my coolant going into my oil...checked it today and all fine
Checked it 5 times last night and oil level was 5 times what it should be
So much fail :palm:

I remember at college, i read a Haynes on the mini. Does the engine and gearbox share the same oils on them?

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ahh well at least its going to save you a small fortune lol.

Yeah they do, imagine a deeper sump with input & outputshafts in and a diff sticking out the back and youve got it basicly. Very odd setup if youve never worked on a mini before, i was baffled for a while lol.

·
Premium Member
8,351 Posts
/\ not really, the laygear usually shits itself. my morris is the same setup, but 5 speed. kitson, if your in 1a, will you not be up against 1380cc screamers?

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah we will be Rob, I think we have a few engine mods planned although i dont know the full details of that yet. This is what i do know though

- Metro cylinder head ( Removes the siamese inlet/exhaust )
- high lift cams
- Port & polish

I think a stright cut box was mentioned also although thats big money so not sure if we will do that or not yet. This wont keep up with the best cars i am sure but should provide us with some fun. Non of us have done track days and things before so

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Right, a few people commented on this at the christmas meal so thought i would try to keep it more up-to date for you all :thumbs_up:.

Stuff to be removed here still as you can see, Steering rack/Collumn, Brake servo & mounting braket etc...

Gearbox/Sump removed, so far as we can tell this apears to be all fine.. Just needs a serious clean. Differential has some play in the bearings though so that will need to be looked at more closely.

Other door fitted up, Not lined up properly yet though

Engine Stripping...

Timing chain removed

I didn't get chance to get a picture of the shells but they are worn massivley, Will need a crank re-grind etc.

I didnt get any other pictures of the rest but we removed the push rods & cam shaft, Pistons were sized into the cylinders. I should also mention that were merely stripping this engine to see what's what. None of us have worked with an engine that uses push rods before so its all a learning curve.

Will be updated again on Tuesday :D

·
Premium Member
7,449 Posts
Pics of keys?!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts