All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to these forums so just thought i'd say hi
I'm a new Corsa owner. About 3 months ago bought myself a 1.2 SXI. I'm 39 years old and it took me a couple of years to pass my test as i failed the theory and practical a few times.Now that ive got myself a nice car want to get my wings but my dads been coming with me each time because he thinks i'm not ready to go out on my own. so i have a couple of questions. Firstly is it worth me getting an L or P sticker even though my dad comes with me?
What should i be expected to pay for an annual service?
How long does it normally take for someone average to start going out on there own? i've been out with my dad for 3 months every week almost but he thinks it maybe still a few months yet before he'll let me drive about on my own.

I'm really liking the Corsa cos I learnt in one of the newer ones. My dad owns a Saab 9-3 old model on a Y plate and my brother has a Fabia vrs. I swear my corsas quicker than those when i drive it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Personally I wouldn't touch the P stickers, but that's just me. When I passed (back in 1995), I was out on my own straight away. I actually wanted to go alone to build confidence. I went on to become a driving instructor......

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
I think the P stickers are a waste of time, probably more likely that people will get frustrated if you're slow or whatever.
I was out on my own the day I passed my test.

I'd budget around £120 a year for service and MOT. Ideally with that engine though, you want to be having an oil change every 6 months/5000 miles. Oil change is very easy DIY, or usually only around £25 on it's own from a garage.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the P stickers are a waste of time, probably more likely that people will get frustrated if you're slow or whatever.
I was out on my own the day I passed my test.

I'd budget around £120 a year for service and MOT. Ideally with that engine though, you want to be having an oil change every 6 months/5000 miles. Oil change is very easy DIY, or usually only around £25 on it's own from a garage.
Ok thanks but why an oil change every 6 months? normally isnt it once a year or every 10,000 which ever come first?
not sure if i should put the P stickers on cos my dad doesnt let me goto fast.Ive been upto 50-60mph in5th gear on carrigeway before my dad said slow down. I think another 3-4 months of my dad sitting with me will give me confidence to go out on my own.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Why don't you have the confidence? That's the point of doing the test, to prove your good enough to go out without supervision, not to have another 6 months of lessons.

Oil change every 5000 miles because the oil ways are thin in most vauxhall engines, and the 1.2 is chain driven so oil changes help keep it quiet.
10,000 mile extended service scheme is a con to sell new cars.

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
10,000 miles? Fook that. Regular changes keeps everyhig running properly. It's when "it will be OK" starts springing to mind, stuff starts going wrong

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why don't you have the confidence? That's the point of doing the test, to prove your good enough to go out without supervision, not to have another 6 months of lessons.

Oil change every 5000 miles because the oil ways are thin in most vauxhall engines, and the 1.2 is chain driven so oil changes help keep it quiet.
10,000 mile extended service scheme is a con to sell new cars.
I get a bit nervous and dont feel ready and my dad isnt too happy with me going about on my own at the moment.

I didnt know that about the oil changing. I thought i needed to go by what it said in the book as a minimum.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Guys - I think this is a wind up. How many 39 year olds have their dad not letting them go out on their own?
I can assure you i'm not winding u up. I live with my parents and only recently got myself a car and not really confident.My dads just trying to help me.
I also want to add ive not worked in years and so probably my confidence has taken a hit. After getting my car in a few months ago ive felt like i needed my dad to go with me and he is concerned for my safety as im a new driver and need someone experienced to help me when im driving. ive just driven on local roads and been limited to dual carriegeways.Sorry you think its a windup but unfortunately as much as i want to prove it by sendin u a copy of my drivers license and passport i value my privacy.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Watch the text talk please as it's against forum rules. Thanks.

As for driving by yourself, tell your dad you're old enough, and get out in the car and go for a steady drive. The only way you'll learn is to do it.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
You'll love it. Just stop worrying and get on and do it. Maybe go out in an evening after rush hour when the roads are mostly quiet.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Im still not allowed to go out driving on my own:(
is it normal for a man my age to be so attached to his daddy
If by attached you mean him hanging out the back of you, no it isn't. No matter what he whispers in your ear, you need to tell someone.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.