All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, mums coming over from Scotland in 3 weeks(to Brisbane where I live now) , I picked her up a 96 1.4L barina which is basically a rebadged Corsa.
Runs and goes ok but temp gauge rises into where the fan should switch on but doesn't.
Oil is clear, water is uncontaminated.
I suspect a buggered thermostat or water pump that may not be circulating the coolant.
There doesn't seem to be any flow back through the top coolant tank return pipe.
Temp send has been replaced by a mechanic, owner is in his 50's, was owned by his dad and they've had it from new. They have new BMW's so no need for an old car...
He's not mechanically minded so no idea what the mechanic had suggested other than give him money..
Also has a rattly tappet but runs well enough otherwise(any upgrade for these or quick fix , hydraulic ? )

Water pump is $60 , wondered if it has sheered impellor if its nylon etc) and 15 for the thermostat but keen to hear opinions on other possibilities.

·
Premium Member
8,351 Posts
either stat or water pump. have you bridged thefan switch so its permanantly on?

if you was near vic i have a full spare motor here....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the water pump nylon impeller ?
Is it also a timing belt run item ? (Looks to be from my quick look, back bottom end of engine)
Where is the thermostat housed ?

Car is still at owners house so haven't poked about, only let it run till hot when I was there, ran perfect otherwise....

Thanks for the offer on parts but yeah, I am up the sunny coast, 1 hr north of Brisbane.
Ps, are the lifters hydraulic or manual ?

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
Lifters are hydraulic.

Water pump on those uses a metal impellor and they do tend to corrode away which limits circulation. The usual trick is to replace the water pump every time you replace the timing belt - because as you have spotted the belt runs the pump and if the pump goes the belt snaps. It is more cost effective to change both at the same time.

The thermostat is behind the timing cover, which is a pain. On some the rear cover is two piece, but not all. Usually it means removing the timing belt and at least lower rear cover - with your symptoms I'd automatically replace the pump and 'stat at the same time.

The thing re. the fan is that nearly of of those older ones won't kick the fan in until it's just touching the red mark on the gauge. They all do it and many people fit a simple override switch so they can manually turn the fan on. (As Rob says - all you need to do is to bridge the connections on the thermoswitch on the radiator. I use 5amp twin core cable, run it into the driver's side and put a simple switch there.)

PS replied to your pm - hope between here and the pm it covers all the questions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers, not too bad then.
Think it must be the water pump as there is no waterflow back through top expansion bottle hose.
That to me, is a tell tale that there is waterpump or blockage drama.
The good thing is, its got full service history from new, in brilliant condition and owned by old people.
Downside, they don't know damn all about cars ! :D

Thanks for the info gents, I'll get onto it tomorrow when I get it back, drives perfect.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Little update, drove it home 20 mins ago, left it running outside house, fan does indeed come on as stated up over 100 but not in red.
Not a confidence boosting gauge ! :D
It des however, work ! :)

So, took rocker cover off, and it has a sticky lifter, the one nearest the distributor.
Can these be loosened off without removal o these 8v motors ?
Simplist option wanted as its just a runner for the old dear and not looking at throwing $$$ into it.

EDIT !!

Found the shim down side the back of the spring, surprised it wasn't chewed up !

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Loosened head studs( need new ones now) lifted cam assembly up an slid in the shim.
Redone the bolts, fired her up ! sweet as ! :)

So, fans working, not overheating , cam now quieter although still a little tick but its been run without a shim for a while so expect some wear on the follower(there is) .
Otherwise. 20 mins and all good , n $$$ outlay ! :)

Will definitely do the fan switch mod. It's no good watching this gauge sit between 100 and red ! :(

·
Premium Member
8,351 Posts
aye, the day i collected mine it was 38 deg, and i was really wary of it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
S, is the temp gauge just really out of whack ?
The rad fan doesn't seem to spin hard at all ! not lie yo you'll see on most cars but still, no overheating.
Is there a temp switch kit for these things ?

·
Premium Member
8,351 Posts
no, the coolant guage is like a pissed root. eventually it gets there but **** knows when, and its never accurate.

basically find the rad fan switch, its in the end of the rad, and bridge it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mine used to have an overheated problem when sat over 15 mins (Due to 2yr old coolant) however, my Corsa's fan takes until about 100-105 on the dial to kick in. My mechanic said it can be common that the kick in temperature is just rather high. At least it does work though

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no, the coolant guage is like a pissed root. eventually it gets there but **** knows when, and its never accurate.

basically find the rad fan switch, its in the end of the rad, and bridge it.
Ah ok. So a scotch lock will suffice.
Cheers.

Fan is asthmatic on these things....spins pretty slow compared to most cars, never get really going hard....:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts