1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says ?

BBC NEWS
Driving age 'must increase to 18'
The minimum driving age must be raised from 17 to 18 to stop young people "killing themselves and others", MPs have said.

The Commons transport committee also wants learner drivers to spread lessons over a year before taking the test and a complete alcohol ban for new drivers.

Novice drivers should be banned from carrying passengers aged between 10 and 20 late at night, the report adds.

The government said it would not rule out adopting the proposals.

Young driver safety was already a priority, it added.

Government figures show that one-third of road deaths involve a car driven by a person aged between 17 and 25, although this group accounts for just one in eight licence-holders.

In 1992, there were 12.6 deaths on the road for every 100,000 motorists aged 17 to 20. By 2005, the figure had risen to 19.2.

'Self-confidence'

Under the proposed changes, people could start learning to drive at 17, as is currently the case, but not take the test until they are 18.

The committee's report - Novice Drivers - says there should also be an "absolute minimum" number of hours of tuition and a "structured syllabus", rather than instructors cramming knowledge into students ahead of the test.

Training must also tackle "inflated self-confidence" by promoting "awareness of one's limitations in real driving situations".

We cannot continue to waste young lives
Gwyneth Dunwoody MP

Meanwhile, "hazard perception training", sometimes using computer simulators, should be extended, possibly to schools, to encourage better habits in young drivers-to-be.

Transport committee chairman Gwyneth Dunwoody, Labour MP for Crewe and Nantwich, said: "The time has come for a revolutionary change."

She added: "I think some males would like to drive at 11. But the reality is that we aren't talking about people having the odd crunch... but about people killing themselves and killing others.

"The other side is a rise in the number of young people killing young people in the same car."

The committee is calling for a zero alcohol limit for all drivers for a year after passing their test.

This group should also be banned from carrying passengers aged between 10 and 20 from 11pm to 5am, it adds.

But the move has not been welcomed by all young people.

Lauren Coles, 18, from Spalding in Lincolnshire, told the BBC News website: "This is stupid. I've been driving over a year now and I need my driving licence because I live in the middle of nowhere.

"I've lost two friends in accidents but I wouldn't change the law on the driving age."

What do you think of the proposals? Will they improve safety standards? Are you a newly qualified driver? Send us your comments using the form below.

Name
Your E-mail address
Town & Country
Phone number (optional):
Comments
Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/uk_politics/6904821.stm

Published: 2007/07/19 08:28:21 GMT

© BBC MMVII

·
The 2nd coming
22,451 Posts
I think its a good idea :) get rid of some of the idiots on the road!

·
Premium Member
15,023 Posts
I think it is a daft idea, its going to mean there are alot of daft 18 year olds out on the roads now with a year less experience. Just because some 17 year olds behave like idiots doesnt mean they all do, its pretty much punishing the many for the actions of the few.
Some of the more structured driving lessons sound like a better idea though, stop people just learning how to pass the test, not how to drive.

·
The 2nd coming
22,451 Posts
18 to drive, one year of lessons = 19 year olds on the roads!

anyway...

·
The 2nd coming
22,451 Posts
to be fair, that's when most accidents happen or when the driver is most likely to be showing off / distracted by the other people in the car

·
Premium Member
15,023 Posts
18 to drive, one year of lessons = 19 year olds on the roads!

anyway...
Under the proposed changes, people could start learning to drive at 17, as is currently the case, but not take the test until they are 18.
anyway...

Back to the point of not allowing passengers after certain times, so it is safer to have 4 people driving separate cars than 1 car with 4 people in? Also if someone takes a lass out for a late meal do they then just have to make them walk home? Aren't most of those times when people get taken to airports as well?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I don't necessarily agree with raising the age limit, but there are some things that I definitely think need considering.

1. zero alcohol limit for at least a year after passing the test and zero limit for ALL provisional licence holders.

2. banned from carrying passengers unless at least one of the passengers has held a full licence for at least 5 years and that passenger must also be restricted to zero alcohol limit whilst supervising the driver.

3. All provisional licence holders must have had at least 10 driving lessons from a qualified driving instructor before attempting to sit the driving test, and the driving instructor has indicated that the driver is competent to sit the test.

4. At least 2 lessons must be taken on a Motorway with a qualified driving instructor after taking the test to qualify the new full licence holder to drive on Motorways.

5. The introduction of a "P" plate to be visible on the car for at least a year after passing the driving test.

6. There needs to be a limit on the number of times a provisional licence holder can sit the test

7. There also needs to be a limit on the years a driver can drive on a provisional licence.

8. The holding of a full driving licence needs to be a "Privilage" not a "Right"

9. Any convictions for speeding and dangerous/careless driving within the first 2 years of holding a full driving licence automatically requires the holder of the licence to resit the driving test and undergo retraining within 6 months of the conviction i.e. the licence reverts to a "P" licence.

J.

·
Premium Member
15,023 Posts
1. zero alcohol limit for at least a year after passing the test and zero limit for ALL provisional licence holders.
Most drink drivers are actually older people, so a zero level across the board or none at all. I dont agree with zero though since sometimes the next day after drinking a small amount been allowed in the blood gives you that little bit of leeway.

2. banned from carrying passengers unless at least one of the passengers has held a full licence for at least 5 years and that passenger must also be restricted to zero alcohol limit whilst supervising the driver.
Which will turn into the person who has held the licence for 5 years trying to teach the person who has just passed, which could cause more arguments and therefore more distractions. Also what happens if someone needs to take there gran to the hospital?

3. All provisional licence holders must have had at least 10 driving lessons from a qualified driving instructor before attempting to sit the driving test, and the driving instructor has indicated that the driver is competent to sit the test.
I do kind of agree with this one, again though it could be flawed. For example some people could have learned on private lad and only need two lessons off there dad and they have passed their test, therefore not doing 10hours or with a qualified instructor but if they can pass they should be allowed to drive.

4. At least 2 lessons must be taken on a Motorway with a qualified driving instructor after taking the test to qualify the new full licence holder to drive on Motorways.
I agree :thumbs_up:

5. The introduction of a "P" plate to be visible on the car for at least a year after passing the driving test.
The L plate doesnt seem to stop people getting annoyed or infact giving the learner any more room so what difference will a P plate make, apart from making people stand out.

6. There needs to be a limit on the number of times a provisional licence holder can sit the test
Why? As far as I can see, if they take the test 20 times and pass on the 20th time then why should they not then be allowed to be a qualified driver? They have passed the test, should werent ready for all of the other tests.

7. There also needs to be a limit on the years a driver can drive on a provisional licence.
Again why?

8. The holding of a full driving licence needs to be a "Privilage" not a "Right"
Thats how it pretty much is now.

9. Any convictions for speeding and dangerous/careless driving within the first 2 years of holding a full driving licence automatically requires the holder of the licence to resit the driving test and undergo retraining within 6 months of the conviction i.e. the licence reverts to a "P" licence.
Is this for any speeding conviction, say just for 3 points? As it is easy to get 3 points for speeding nowadays, even insurers agree with that.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I rode out with a group of 20-50 year olds a couple of years ago on country roads on my 600, I felt the pace was a fair quicker on the road than I normally ride, but I kept with the group until we stopped, my back tyre looked like this :eek:
It only gets like this on the track as you can't get the heat into it on the roads when cornering unless really nailing it

I split from the group at that point, and went with another mate to the destination at a steadier pace. I will not go out with them anymore for this reason.

I don't think youth is the problem, but the willingness to observe the limits, this can be a problem for drivers/riders of any age. That said, I think that youngsters are encouragable, and many will try to drive beyond their (limited) ability when they have friends in the car.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Better then sliced bread :D :thumbs_up:

Need to get the min age for beer down to 15 :laugh: :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
52 Posts
simple answer, make driving tests harder and more strict, lol or limit their cars to
a sensible speed, like some vehicles over 7.5 ton are limited to 56mph:laugh:

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
simple answer, make driving tests harder and more strict, lol or limit their cars to
a sensible speed, like some vehicles over 7.5 ton are limited to 56mph:laugh:
Driving tests are more difficult as it is. In my opinion I feel I should've had more training about what other drivers may do on the roads.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts