All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all , had this annoying rattling problem for about 2 months or so. but it only rattles when I go at low speeds or move off from stationary, it's still doing it. what could it be? O yeah it's a corsa sport 1.4 1.6v :confused:

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
It might be your heat sheild on your exhaust manifold. They're tacked on with a couple of welds and these usually break off after a while due to corrosion. It's a common fault.
Check that and if it doesn't solve it let us know.

·
Registered
393 Posts
another one is the heatshield on the outside of the cat if its got one, the aluminium sheet under the car working loose ive seen before.

·
Registered
390 Posts
also, heatshields can be binned, u dont need them :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it's defo not the heat shield (exhaust manifold) cos it's brand new, the first corsa I had rattled cos of the heat shield and that drove me nuts lol. I'll have a look at the cat's heat shield , also is it possible to tighten up the heat shield on the cat, without having to buy a new cat?
appreciate the help thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
had a look at the cat and cat heat, shield nothing loose very sturdy. still rattling though, so it's going into garage to be looked at (vauxhall) , I'll let ya all know what the rattling was.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
OK cheers, that would be good for future reference.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I had the same problem with mine. My problem was where 2 parts of the exhaust joined. (It was in the middle slightly towards the front of the car, not sure of the names, I THINK it was where the downpipe joined the centre section) There were 2 bolts holding the 2 parts together, the piece of metal that the bolts bolt into had rusted away so 1 of the bolts was loose and not holding the exhaust at all as it was bolting into nothing, the exhaust was being held by 1 bolt. As a result the bolt and exhaust were rattling becuase of the vibration, took it to a garage place and they cut out the rusted joint, and put a piece of flexipipe in. Sorry for the long post and sorry if you didnt understand any of that, I know I go on a lot lol.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Exhausts are right fidgety things.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
beleive it or not, but the garage couldn't find the rattling, but they can hear it they just can't find where it's coming from ?????????????????????

·
Registered
393 Posts
that happens mate, try finding a coin behind the dash after turfing out all the interior trying to find a rattle, then you arent sure if thats the cause or not until you put it all back together again :S

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well before I left the garage, they did say come back at the weekend and they will av another look at it :confused: can't be that hard to find can it?:D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Right then found the rattling problem .............. it's got something to do with the V-BELT, the part in general is hitting off something and thus making a rattle (of course when the engine is on)

·
Registered
393 Posts
sounds like a stone or something in the alternator then, mines been doing that since day 1 about 3 years ago, even took it off and tried to shake it out, no joy. doesnt give me a problem though, although with you it might be down to how much and how loud it is rattling before it really drives you nuts.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
By the v-belt I'm guessing you mean auxillary belt?
I had a wierd noise coming from mine before and it turned out to be the waterpump, it was knackered. I replaced that and it was sorted.

6 Posts
It could be the cat itself. The monolith can breakdown in time and rattle about inside the cat housing. Do you have any performance issues? Usually when the cat collapses like this, it blocks the exhaust stream and can turn a normally sprightly 1600 perform worse than a 3 cylinder.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts