All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried getting the 16mm rear top bolt off for the rear shocks and all it did was rotate, we even had someone holding the actual shock with molegrips.

Any ideas what tool would remove it? 16mm ring spanner? Just kept rotating and was frustrating

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
Need to hold the piston tighter within the mole grips.

On standard ones you can use a small spanner (8mm iirc) to hold it. Right at te very top.

If
It's scrap, another option is to saw trough the piston itself from within the wheel arch

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it is the nut at the top its stuck tight the 12mm nut for the rear shocks.

stuck tight like a *******

·
Registered
651 Posts
One of them I managed to get off with molegrips on the top lug and a spanner on the nut but the other side needed some serious work, ended up bending the shock and shaking it loose. If you intend to re-use the shock, that's obviously a bad idea but I just threw it away after.

If it comes down to it and you really just need to get it off and out, give it a good shake and a bend from below, helped to loosen up the bolt for me enough to use the molegrip and spanner method.

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
Is you saw through the middle of the piston, the bottom
Will fall off, and the top can just lift out with bolt still on

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do halfords do a decent set of Molegrips I have a semi decent set but was wondering if they do any bigger heavy dutier stuff.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If your binnin the shocker and have a welder, and are really stuck, stick a blob on the shocker ram where it goes into the base, won't turn then lol :)

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had better luck using 2 sets of mole grips holding it really tight and then rotated the piston until the grips rested on the inner arch/body. It didn't move after that.
Is that even when the shoick was rotating while you were undoing the nut on top?

If not will have to saw it like others said.

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
Do your mole grips have straight jaws or curved?

You really need curved jaws for that kind of job.

These are very good http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/040211466

Most shockers have a section at the top which you can lock - even it's just a couple of flats. More fiddly, but if you want to refit the shocker it's the only way. If you're scrapping them then a pair of curved grips on the shaft ought to do the job.

And some penetrating fluid on the stuck nut of course.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Think there straight, if not ill go into halfords later and see if they do curved molegrips.

I dont mind if I break the shock tbh as they wont be going backon.

We also soaked the nut in wd40 and still wouldn't budge

·
Registered
9,910 Posts
As mentioned, when i done mines the first time i used two sets of mole grips to stop the shaft spinning.

There is a bit at the top where you can put (IIRC) an 8mm open ender on the straight slotted shaped part to try and use that to stop the shaft rotating. I used that the second time round.

·
Registered
9,410 Posts

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
Really don't see why you don't just cut it in half.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Going to try in a few weeks and if I cant do it then im going to take it to a garage so they can get it off.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts