All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Corsa B creaks or makes clunking sounds from the rear when going over uneven roads or speedbumps. I've taken some pictures of the suspension.

The left dampener looked as if though it might be leaking - it looked like there was some old oil on the top of it. This surprised me because the sounds mostly come form the right side.

Today I had a passenger in the car and it made the sounds a bit louder. Also, it seems that driving slowly up steep inclines will cause some creaking as well. The car has done 92.000 KM and it is a 98 model. Lastly, all the rust and such - is this enough to be worried or normal? I've been thinking of applying some paint-on-rust paint to the sway bar and the suspension "arms" just to keep it from getting worse.

·
Banned
885 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.

Even with all of those pictures, it is still difficult to make a full assessment of the cars underside.
That shock absorber is certainly leaking - the only cure for that is to replace it, but it is always better to replace both sides, as one new and one old one can affect handling.
It is possible that the shock absorber which is NOT leaking has a seized or partially seized piston, if this is the case, it will emit a bumping sound if you attempt to bounce on that corner of the car.

Creaking noises could also indicate worn suspension bushes or badly seating road springs, BUT could also be due to very bad corrosion of the vehicle chassis which would allow the metal to flex.

It is certainly possible to re paint the suspension parts, BUT, these need to be thoroughly cleaned of all rust and any remaining paint before any new paint is applied.

I would strongly advise that you thoroughly inspect ALL of the chassis before deciding if the car is worth spending money on. This would involve the use of something like a screwdriver to attempt to penetrate all rusted areas, this is necessary as what appears to be solid metal when you simply look at it, can, very often be almost rusted through when you probe it.

All repairs are possible, what you have to decide is if it is economically viable, this may depend upon whether you are prepared to carry out the work yourself, or if you have to pay someone else to do it for you.

Edited as I missed this bit out: You also need to pay some attention to those brake lines and hand brake linkage.

Regards.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The underside area of your Corsa looks in remarkably good condition. Apart from the leaking damper I wouldnt muck about with it. The part where the spring seats onto the chassis rail is a favourite grot spot. Yours looks completely unmarked, although inexplicably its the drivers side thats worst sometimes, like mine.

If you are worried about rusting springs, knock the flaking paint or rust off and coat them with copper grease. I did that on mine. As said, I'd stick some of that grease on your handbrake cable too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts