All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

I have a 2007 petrol Corsa (three doors, manual, 1229cc Sxi)

Only one line of the rear window heater works. It has been that way since I bought the car three years ago.

I've only just got around to trying to sort it now, slightly lazy I know!

In any situation where the rear window heater is needed, one line works and heats an area around it. This is some assistance but obviously not perfect.

Having looked on the internet, it suggested using a multimeter to identify breaks in the lines. I tried this but all it showed, as you might expect, was that current was flowing through the line that works but not the others.

Does anyone have any insight on what might be wrong and how to fix it?

Many thanks

gj

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi

Thanks for that, looks like the way to fix a break if I can identify one, haven't managed to do that yet

It's just really odd that only one line out of twelve or so works

Something to do with the distribution of the power to the lines maybe rather than breaks in the lines themselves?

Any ideas gratefully received

·
Registered
590 Posts
if it was an issue with power distribution the other ones would work, only they would be weak. Since just ONE is working it sounds like a faulty heating system. I'd disconnect the plugs and reconnect just to make sure it isn't that. you can check for breaks but it honestly doesn't sound like that to me. Might have to replace at worst case, or see if you can find a cheap alternative heating wire that you can tape/glue/paint on there.

·
Banned
885 Posts
It's a bit of a pain, but if you take a magnifying glass (or if you have 20/20 vision, you won't need one!) and follow each of the strands across the glass, you can normally see the difference in colour where the break is. If you can do that, you may then be able to use the above mentioned method to repair it BUT this stuff tends to look a bit unsightly, especially if you have a lot of breaks, as it would seem that you have.
The main cause of failure of these demister elements, is people being too enthusiastic when they are cleaning the inside of the glass - Always wipe it VERRRRRY gently, and in the direction of the elements - NEVER across them.

Regards.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Which line works? Is it a one at the top or bottom? Or just a middleish one? Heated screens are wired up in parallel so if it was a supply fault they'd all be off or dim, however if only the top or the bottom works then there could be a break in the element that goes to the rest of them, personally if your that fussed I'd go for a new screen, I no of someone who tried to repair some of his with some paint stuff, but it stopped working again after a while

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.