All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next week my X10XE is getting a new water pump and thermostat. Obviously when the WP is replaced, nearly all of the coolant trapped in the engine block will run out, and the new thermostat will be 'closed'.

My concern is that after I reinstall everything and slowly refill the coolant through the reservoir, does any coolant find its way into the dry engine block before I start the engine and the thermostat reaches the 92*C opening temperature?

The water pump for the X10XE looks like this:

The red circled part is essentially 'open' on the top of the water pump until the metal plate containing the coolant temp sensor is installed. Can I pre-fill the water pump and engine block with coolant through this port before I start the engine and burp the cooling system?

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
It's very simple really - just refill very very slowly via the expansion tank. If you do it very slowly then it won't airlock and the system will fill entirely.

You often find the level will drop slightly over the first few uses so don't worry if it does that.

There is no vent on those to expel airlocks so it pays to do it right first time - which means doing it slowly.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Taurus, now that you mention it, I can see that when the coolant is trickled into the expansion tank, it will first flow into the radiator, and then once that's mostly full, continue to flow and fill the engine block through the lower radiator hose.

Until a moment ago I couldn't see how the block and water pump would get any coolant without it going through the thermostat/upper radiator hose. :palm: :laugh:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.