All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my car stopped running about 2 weeks ago. Most likely because it was on its way out (white smoke from exhaust, never any coolant in resevoir, oil in expansion tank etc) and i just hastened that by pouring some steel seal in as a last ditch lazy effort to keep it going. and the following morning it just refused to run. Checked oil and it was practically empty so filled it and after a few starts it choked back to life but i had to spend 5 minutes trying to get the engine to crank. Eventually it stopped doing that altogether...whoops.

I've got a new car now so i've decided that instead of scrapping the corsa d as a non runner i'm gonna attempt to repair the engine for the sake of learning and hopefully sell on to recoup some of the money.

I've started off by removing the airbox, electricals and rocker. Pulled out spark plugs and saw oily residue which from what i read can be a likely reason for HGF.

I've attached some pictures. All 4 spark plugs had oil with 1 and 4 being the worse as well as the pictures of the black oil build up of their pistons?

I'm at the point where i'm trying to remove the inlet manifold before i tackle the water pump,pulleys and timing cover. Hayes mentions to remove bolts but doesn't state where and how many (i've taken off the obvious 4 from the front but can't get around the back to see if there are any there) the EGR valve has been disconnected as i know that connects the manifold to the head too. Can anyone help a guy out?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So i've had the hour or two today (short days! :mad:) to tackle it weather has been really bad lately so haven't touched it since the last update.

I figured out how to remove the inlet completely and luckily all the bolts that required to be undone were easily accessible. I've marked the last 2 hidden in a deep recess which should allow you to remove the inlet easily (Don't forget about the metal pipe going to the EGR valve!)

Once those two bolts were loosened. The inlet was easy to shift away from the head. As long as the studs on the inlet are out of the head holes, it shouldn't be a problem later on.

Need to remember to remove the orange rubber gaskets and replace them with new ones upon reassembly.

I should have mentioned this at the start , seeing as we will need to access the camshaft pulley to make sure the timing is correct on reassembly it's best to remove the driver side wheel now to make access easier for that. As you can also see, i've put my jack on the sump so it can support the engine when i've removed the engine mount.

Now that all the main electrics have been disconnected and the inlet manifold has been removed from the head. It's time to tackle the left hand side of the engine (if you're looking at it from the front of the car) so we can get the head off.
Engine mount removed, jack supporting the engine until the end.

Again i need to clarify, this is just a learning experience for me. You can follow it if you wish but you will probably be best off referring to haynes or a video somewhere.

Also is this forum completely dead? seems to be littered with bots who reply with nonsense to some threads!

·
Registered
12 Posts
So i've had the hour or two today (short days! :mad:) to tackle it weather has been really bad lately so haven't touched it since the last update.

I figured out how to remove the inlet completely and luckily all the bolts that required to be undone were easily accessible. I've marked the last 2 hidden in a deep recess which should allow you to remove the inlet easily (Don't forget about the metal pipe going to the EGR valve!)

Once those two bolts were loosened. The inlet was easy to shift away from the head. As long as the studs on the inlet are out of the head holes, it shouldn't be a problem later on.

Need to remember to remove the orange rubber gaskets and replace them with new ones upon reassembly.

I should have mentioned this at the start , seeing as we will need to access the camshaft pulley to make sure the timing is correct on reassembly it's best to remove the driver side wheel now to make access easier for that. As you can also see, i've put my jack on the sump so it can support the engine when i've removed the engine mount.

Now that all the main electrics have been disconnected and the inlet manifold has been removed from the head. It's time to tackle the left hand side of the engine (if you're looking at it from the front of the car) so we can get the head off.
Engine mount removed, jack supporting the engine until the end.

Again i need to clarify, this is just a learning experience for me. You can follow it if you wish but you will probably be best off referring to haynes or a video somewhere.

Also is this forum completely dead? seems to be littered with bots who reply with nonsense to some threads!
Hey Pal ,

Just wondering how you go on with changing the head gasket went in the end, was quite an interesting read until it stopped

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.