All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you all know I've been having problems with my car & it's really annoying me now,

Here's an update;

My 1.2 8v Corsa has been really dodgy starting up in the mornings especially when cold. The car used to start fine, but shudder for a bit until the engine sounded normal again. For some reason lately, I have been struggling to start it every morning. When I try to start it up, the engine sounds like it's trying to fire but can't. I have to leave the car before I can try again.

Once I've left it, I'll try and restart it again & it'll start up eventually, but then conk out unless I put my foot down on the accelerator. It seems as though it's misfiring like mad, as it's juddering a lot.

The HT leads are new, the distributor cap is new/rotor arm - both new. The sparkplugs are quite new. I have also sprayed damp start on the ignition system, no joy.

I've checked the distributor cap for moisture - nothing.

The car runs very very well once it's started up, with no misfires.

I'm yet to check the sparkplugs to see if they are worn, but they shouldn't be as I've not long changed them. So I'm very confused.

The engine had an oil change recently, and I use injector cleaner most of the time.

Any more suggestions?

I bet I'm driving you lot crazy with my constant posts lol :laugh:

Thanks!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Have you tired cleaning out the throttle body (could be full of crap and gunk)? Take the top of it off, get a rag/cloth with a bit of WD on and give it w ipe inside to remove all the crap! It may just be thick with dirt. Thats what happened on the ex's 1.2 8v :)

Or maybe even the Idle Control Valve? :)

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Solution: All sorted now. Turns out, it was a really dodgy spark plug. It took ages for the sparkplug to come out of the engine, & when it came out the casing was cracked & the end was bright orange. Not good.:laugh:

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The plugs are in & all seemed fine, until this morning..

The car fired up fine & then it was shuddering for a while. It sounded like it was about to cut out, and i had to put my foot down so the engine got warmed up. When i moved off, it was really struggling. Eventually the engine got itself together and ran normally!! :laugh: WTF? I gotta take it for a diagnostic asap.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you tired cleaning out the throttle body (could be full of crap and gunk)? Take the top of it off, get a rag/cloth with a bit of WD on and give it w ipe inside to remove all the crap! It may just be thick with dirt. Thats what happened on the ex's 1.2 8v :)

Or maybe even the Idle Control Valve? :)
I'm gonna try your suggestion matey & then take my car to a garage as a last resort. :confused:

·
Registered
79 Posts
unless the enigne management light is on, i didnt think a diagnostic would do any good (someone correct nme if im worng though!) :) have you checked your fuekl filter too, in case its all clogged up with crap? maybe even your AFM is playing up (if the 1.2 8v has one, i cant remember!)? :D

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
unless the enigne management light is on, i didnt think a diagnostic would do any good (someone correct nme if im worng though!) :) have you checked your fuekl filter too, in case its all clogged up with crap? maybe even your AFM is playing up (if the 1.2 8v has one, i cant remember!)? :D
What is the AFM? :confused: Bit dumb sometimes with it comes to cars.

I haven't check my fuel filter yet, so I'll have a look.

:thumbs_up:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Afm

I think the 8V only have a lambda sensor it's on the exhaust manifold where it goes from 2 into one and looks a bit like a sparkplug put in backwards with a wire coming out of it.

if it look damaged theres a chance it could be playing up.

·
Registered
79 Posts
lol! AFM is Air Flow Meter. This sits between the air filter and the throttle body on the engine. I couldnt remember if the 1.2 8v beast had one or not!

But like Thomas siad, check the lambda sensor wire (or even try a new lambda sensor off a mates car or get one from a local motor factors for about £20 (i think thats how much i spent on a mark 3 astra 1!) :)

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just to clarify: The problem seems as though it has been solved now. If anyone else has a problem like this, check that your throttle cable isn't slack. Mine was really slack. I adjusted it slightly & the problem as has been sorted ever since.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just to clarify: The problem seems as though it has been solved now. If anyone else has a problem like this, check that your throttle cable isn't slack. Mine was really slack. I adjusted it slightly & the problem as has been sorted ever since.
Cool glad to hear it, plus with all the other work you've done now your car should be running sweet as a nut.:driver:

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cool glad to hear it, plus with all the other work you've done now your car should be running sweet as a nut.:driver:
:D It is now, thanks for all your help mate. My exhaust problem is sorted too. The exhaust fittings were too long for the backbox I bought, and when it got hot it was making a nasty banging sound - similar to a woodpecker sound. As it was a cheap backbox, it was too big apparently. So me and my dad were there hacking at the fittings lol. No noise now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I love an engine that runs well, my cars usually have everything done about twice as often as the haynes book recommends.:)

Glad to hear its running well now:thumbs_up:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts