All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i have recently started paying for our corsa from a friend, it has mot til may and new tax on for 6 months, i am paying £377 in total for it on a 1999 V plate, so far paid £50 for first payment as they want a steady income coming in and had been advertising for weeks and no sale.

Now my problem is she has quiet a bit of rust which i have sanded and primed ready to respray, but my main concern is the dipstick snapped off and won't come out with the bolt method, so i found a cheap garage who will change my oil, filter, sump plug and gasket all for £60, but on top of that the new dipstick cost £10 and she is misfiring been told it maybe a broken spark, and smokes like a trooper when she is in the red and smells like gasket burning. the head has been tested and its fine.

So do i pay for repairs or give it back to my friend and say I'm not paying no more?

I do have mechanical background as i did it at college but tbh its too much hard work lol.

Any sensible answers would be appreciated.

if someone could deleted my post in car section i realised it would be better in this section.

·
Banned
140 Posts
I think you are paying top price for a V reg corsa you don't say what the mileage is ?
If you are not able to do the work yourself I would give it back, sounds like you are buying trouble and could finish up costing a packet in garage fees

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you are paying top price for a V reg corsa you don't say what the mileage is ?
If you are not able to do the work yourself I would give it back, sounds like you are buying trouble and could finish up costing a packet in garage fees
I could do it with some help from a friend but all tutorials I've seen looks a pain in ass removing gearbox panel and disconnecting the exhaust from the manifold too.

its done 138548miles so thats kinda right for its age I've been told, bearing in mind we only do school runs in it and a few times a year to portsmouth from nottingham which it managed last week without the dipstick attached we wedged it with gun gum lol.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Take the sump off and pull the remaining dipstick out through the bottom and when you say in the red what do you mean as in red in fuel or red as in temperature ??? As for misfiring have you took any of the plugs out to check ??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Take the sump off and pull the remaining dipstick out through the bottom and when you say in the red what do you mean as in red in fuel or red as in temperature ??? As for misfiring have you took any of the plugs out to check ??
in the red fuel wise sorry didn't make it very clear. I've bought new sparks as apparently its not been done in the last year my friend had the car. is the sump job as easy as that as I've been looking and apparently i have to take all the gearbox panel off and uncouple the exhaust from the manifold.

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
If you have motor experience and are asking stuff like this, I'm glad you didn't go I to the trade

Reactions: Michael [PD]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you have motor experience and are asking stuff like this, I'm glad you didn't go I to the trade
well i do have ADD and dyspraxia hence not being able to retain information or use white/black for texting, and to be honest i never wanted to do the course i did it to please the motor factors shop i worked in selling parts, which has nothing to do with you to be honest, seems this forum only has a couple of helpful people asking sensible things unlike yourself who seems to be out to pick holes with everything i say!

·
Registered
13 Posts
It is probably smoking as its sucking all the crap from the bottom of the tank and also does it misfire all the time or only when your fuel is in the red as if its doing it when your in the red it is probably as your not getting enough fuel and its not wise to run your car in the red as it sucks all the crap up always keep it at least quarter a tank

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is probably smoking as its sucking all the crap from the bottom of the tank and also does it misfire all the time or only when your fuel is in the red as if its doing it when your in the red it is probably as your not getting enough fuel and its not wise to run your car in the red as it sucks all the crap up always keep it at least quarter a tank
it misfires all the time :( I've got a friend bringing over a t30 later this evening to get the coil pack off, hopefully that will sort the problem if not new coil pack maybe needed which i hope it doesnt as they are £65+vat from local auto factors

1 - 10 of 10 Posts