All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Speed Trap - with Consequences

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two traffic patrol officers from North Berwick were involved in an unusual incident while checking for speeding motorists on the A-1 Great North Road. One of the officers used a hand-held radar device to check the speed of a vehicle approaching over the crest of a hill, and was surprised when the speed was recorded at over 300 mph. Their radar suddenly stopped working and the officers were not able to reset it.

Just then a deafening roar over the treetops revealed that the radar had in fact latched on to a NATO Tornado fighter jet which was engaged in a low-flying exercise over the Border district, approaching from the North Sea.

Back at police headquarters the chief constable fired off a stiff complaint to the RAF Liaison office. Back came the reply in true laconic RAF style:

"Thank you for your message, which allows us to complete the file on this incident. You may be interested to know that the tactical computer in the Tornado had detected the presence of, and subsequently locked onto, your hostile radar equipment and automatically sent a jamming signal back to it. Furthermore, an air-to-ground missile aboard the fully-armed aircraft had also automatically locked onto your equipment.

Fortunately the pilot flying the Tornado recognized the situation for what it was, quickly responded to the missile systems alert status, and was able to override the automated defence system before the missile was launched and your hostile radar installation was destroyed. Good Day..."

Nice one!!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i know its random but it made me smile when read it, thought others might like it so posted it here...

·
Registered
236 Posts
Lmao i have heard about 2 pilots who used there night vision goggles in a porshe 911. They would turn the lights off and do rediculous speeds down the motorway. It was a local cabbie that picked up this sounds at the same time every night told the police and they clocked him. Lol wish i had night vision

·
Dr frankenstein
8,272 Posts
Ive been on the A1 at night near Leaming and the RAF base perform low altitude maneuvers over the carriage way. Its fun when when a plane looks like its going to hit you and shoots past you in the pitch black.

·
Premium Member
15,023 Posts
Lmao i have heard about 2 pilots who used there night vision goggles in a porshe 911. They would turn the lights off and do rediculous speeds down the motorway. It was a local cabbie that picked up this sounds at the same time every night told the police and they clocked him. Lol wish i had night vision
This is an old urban legend transferred from drug runners in American clicky

·
Premium Member
15,023 Posts
Source?
Edit: Have you actually read the link I put up, I think mate you have been taken in by a very simple (but impossible) legend. Please stop now before you make a fool of yourself.
Night vision goggles may seem to turn night into day (a day rendered in green, anyway), but they do so at the expense of depth perception. Though perfectly serviceable if the wearer is standing still or travelling at a controlled speed, NVGs produce a limited depth of field quite dangerous to someone trying to make sense of a rapidly changing landscape, where so much as one missed detail can prove fatal. Navigation is further complicated by rain, snow, and fog, all of which cut down the NVG's effectiveness. Light emitted from a car's instrument panel would also adversely impact the clarity of images picked up by the goggles.

When used on public highways at any speed, NVGs represent accidents just waiting to happen. Oncoming headlights would cause the operator to be unable to see other objects in the field of view, and just one car coming from the opposite direction could render the NVG-wearer temporarily blind.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Look mate i was told by an ex cab driver he stopped in this layby on his nightly routine for something to eat he informed the cops and they clocked him i mean why would he lie for gods sake pilots do also have night vision.Wats your problem

·
Registered
236 Posts
And thats aload of rubbish i shoot Deer and we had an organisation that brought in this nightvision equipment to track the deer and you could see fine.

·
Premium Member
15,023 Posts
Look mate i was told by an ex cab driver he stopped in this layby on his nightly routine for something to eat he informed the cops and they clocked him i mean why would he lie for gods sake pilots do also have night vision.Wats your problem
I havent got a problem. Also by turning the lights off the car would suddenly not become invisible people would still be able to see it. Maybe he just liked telling a story. Like I said find a source?

·
Dr frankenstein
8,272 Posts
Don't night vision goggles blind you if you get light shined in them? ie headlights coming the other way?
Wouldn't something like this have been covered in the news? so there would be a log of it somewhere?

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yes having night vision on and having a light shone at them would render them useless etc

And thats aload of rubbish i shoot Deer and we had an organisation that brought in this nightvision equipment to track the deer and you could see fine.
night vision works great in night time, but as lodgey mentioned in his quote, theyre hopeless when your moving, (i.e. in a car) read that post again. standing still looking for things is totally different and he didnt say they didnt work....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts