All Corsa Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does it need rubbing down and primering etc... or can u spray straight onto it?

Or should i have it done when i get my GSI spoiler sprayed, and get like the heaters and door handles done etc...?

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
If you can afford it, get it done professionally.

·
Registered
83 Posts
get some proper different grades of paper... not sure on the grades you should use, I think youl need 400 and 600, but you better ask. Start off with the roughest to get all the texture off the parts you want to spray, then use the finer stuff to get it reaaaaaally smooth.

Then clean everything with white spirit, just wipe it over with a cloth.

Then spray everything with a plastic primer, just in light coats, let it dry between coats - maybe give it 5 coats all together.
Then sand down lightly with your fine grade paper to get it really smooth again.

Then get the colour on, let paint get tacky between coats, maybe give it 5 coats of colour aswell, thats what I did anyway! Very light sprays each time so it doesnt run, take your finger off the button at the end of each left to right movement. (dont turn the corners with it spraying basically)

Then while its still tacky, spray it with clear lacquer, again all these things are available in aerosol, just go to halfords if you have to, but maybe your more intelligent local modifiying shop can supply it all. Give it as many coats of lacquer if you want, again just build it up, wee coats at a time, 10 mins in between coats.

Make sure you do all this in a totally dust free area, and make sure there is loads of ventilation, otherwise your gonna get high.

Cheers,
Alan

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Deffinatly get it done proffessionally J.

But if your going to have a go yourself (which is gratifying
) then do exactly as kandy has described for you.

take your time to prepare as it makes all the difference ;)

I got my interior bits done professionaly(luckily i have a friend in the trade) but i prepared some of the bits in my Lee's astra and am very proud of how they turned out :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think its nice to do it yourself, if you do it right, the finish will be fine! And you have a great feeling from doing it yourself, lol.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
I think its nice to do it yourself, if you do it right, the finish will be fine! And you have a great feeling from doing it yourself, lol.
I'm the same, I love the satisfaction of doing a job myself.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
If you spray straight onto it, the paint will just drip off. You need to rub it down. Or, get some primer on it. I'm not sure whether the primer will drip off too.:confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts