All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get this squeaking noise whenever I go over bumps. Either speed bumps, wee holes in the road, or cobbles.

I had the suspension checked and its not that. A guy suggested the exhaust rubbing underneath the car.

Now I'm not the most knowledgeable about these things, but is this possible, and how could I remedy it?

Any help greatly appreciated guys.

Cheers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
im sure its something to do with the suspention dampeners but dont take my word for it, might be worth gettin it looked at by someone else. could be ur exhaust but when mine was rubbing it just to make more of a grinding noise. get some of ur mate to sit in the back and av a look if the exhaust system is very close to ur rear axle for example.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
I get this squeaking noise whenever I go over bumps. Either speed bumps, wee holes in the road, or cobbles.

I had the suspension checked and its not that. A guy suggested the exhaust rubbing underneath the car.

Now I'm not the most knowledgeable about these things, but is this possible, and how could I remedy it?

Any help greatly appreciated guys.

Cheers.
I had the same problem ages ago mate. Check the exhaust pipe where it goes into the engine manifold. There's a gasket that sits on the end of the pipe. If that's worn that may be causing the squeaking. The gasket is like a ring of loads of wire.

·
Registered
713 Posts
could just be the car groaning perhaps? might not necessarily be a major concern, im sure my clio does it at times lol, mind it is 14 years old.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had the same problem ages ago mate. Check the exhaust pipe where it goes into the engine manifold. There's a gasket that sits on the end of the pipe. If that's worn that may be causing the squeaking. The gasket is like a ring of loads of wire.
IS that an expensive problem to fix?

How would I know if it is worn?

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
IS that an expensive problem to fix?

How would I know if it is worn?
Nooo not expensive at all. Where your exhaust pipe goes into the engine, there are 2 bolts with springs on them. (It's awkward to get to). Unbolt the exhaust pipe & there should be a ring of wiring round the end of the pipe sealed on. If it looks embedded into the pipe - it's worn. You can get new gaskets from place like Tyre Sales or ATS. You'll need to prise the old gasket off & it'll probably be tightly secured because of the heat of the exhaust. The gasket should look like a ring of compressed wiring. Mine was very worn & my car squeaked all the time. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
713 Posts
cost of a new gasket is summat like £4 tops, as Lyd's has said, just go to any car spares (etc) place and ask for a manifold-downpipe gasket for (your spec corsa) and they'll more than likely have them there in stock, and as Lyd's has said again, undo the 2 bolts, downpipe releases, replace gasket, re-position downpipe, re-do bolts, and jobs a good'un:thumbs_up:

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Cig - let us know how you get on. If the gasket is difficult to get off them get some WD40 & a flat edged screwdriver on it. Also a sharp stanley knife! :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
713 Posts
Cig - let us know how you get on. If the gasket is difficult to get off them get some WD40 & a flat edged screwdriver on it. Also a sharp stanley knife! :thumbs_up:
or just bash it with a hammer and pray like i did....:shocked: lol (no wonder mine never works right, didnt hit it hard enough......)

but yeah keep us informed, and if it doesnt solve the problem, least its not money wasted, and will try to help out in other ways :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nooo not expensive at all. Where your exhaust pipe goes into the engine, there are 2 bolts with springs on them. (It's awkward to get to). Unbolt the exhaust pipe & there should be a ring of wiring round the end of the pipe sealed on. If it looks embedded into the pipe - it's worn. You can get new gaskets from place like Tyre Sales or ATS. You'll need to prise the old gasket off & it'll probably be tightly secured because of the heat of the exhaust. The gasket should look like a ring of compressed wiring. Mine was very worn & my car squeaked all the time. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
Excellent.

I'll have a wee look at that when I get a chance.

Cheers

·
Registered
611 Posts
yeah, mine was doing this and thats definitely where the squeek is coming from... you could be lucky and have a cheap fix with only the gasket needing replaced... before i changed my exhaust due to needing a new cat... the 2 bolts and springs were still attached, but the rest of the metal on the downpipe part was completely knackered. surprised the exhaust hadnt fallen off

1 - 20 of 21 Posts