All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, my gf has recently had a problem with her steering. It was really heavy as I assume it doesn't have power steering, but haven't had time to check (its an N reg, should it have or not?) But literally over the last 2 days it has got much lighter. Feels much better to drive obviously being noticeably lighter but its fairly obviously something must be wrong for it to happen from nowhere.

What can cause this?

any info would be great, cheers.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Apparently the steering can feel light if the alignment/tracking is out.

·
Premium Member
18,555 Posts
i can feel something dodgy if i hold my clutch down and turn the wheel, any ideas what this is? i thought my clutch was going but its only when i move the wheel!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hi there, my gf has recently had a problem with her steering. It was really heavy as I assume it doesn't have power steering, but haven't had time to check (its an N reg, should it have or not?) But literally over the last 2 days it has got much lighter. Feels much better to drive obviously being noticeably lighter but its fairly obviously something must be wrong for it to happen from nowhere.

What can cause this?

any info would be great, cheers.
Tyre pressures or will cause this problem. Sticking wide wheels on will also aggravate heavy steering.

·
Registered
168 Posts
or u could have just got use to the steering, or you been down the gym.. Just kiddin, prob one of the answer above :D

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
i can feel something dodgy if i hold my clutch down and turn the wheel, any ideas what this is? i thought my clutch was going but its only when i move the wheel!
Your steerings got nothing to do with the clutch lol, its all the seperate, the only thing touching is the driveshafts to the hub and the steering rods, the driveshafts arent moving anyway so i dont think its related.

Seems odd that its suddenly got lighter, something might have dislodged itself i dont know lol, take your wheels off and have a look and a wobble, might shed some light on why its got light.

·
Premium Member
18,555 Posts
i know that, but i definatly can feel something with the clutch all the way down and i turn the wheel, when im going slow or not moving, its like its vibrating a bit, i will get someone to look at it for me as i cant really explain! but its defo the clutch and only when i steer!

·
Premium Member
18,555 Posts
i know i know, im just telling you what i feel! it may be just coincedence, i thought maybe the clutch pedal is touching the floor or something else and then i feel the steerig column vibrate through something else although im no expert!

·
Registered
43 Posts
if you have big feet (like i do size 13) then you'll find that sometime you touch teh stearing coloumb with them making it feel funny, also if you put wider tyres on then its gona make the stearing all jumpy and want to pull you into every little dimple in the doad, trust me, im runnin 15" astra GSI rims and they are awfull for this

·
Registered
542 Posts
on the steering topic, on my corsa b (1.2 16v w reg) it is a little harder to move the wheel right, than it is 2 the left, nothing much, but its noticeable

any ideas what the prob may be, if there is 1. i pumped my tyres up earlier and it still has the prob

·
Registered
611 Posts
i've had just about every steering problem possible with my car :(
a few things to check though
1. tyre pressure (too high - light steering... too low - steering
2. tracking (car pulls left or right, outside of one or both tyres is noticebly more worn than the centre of the tyre)
3. ball joints... scary, last year, my steering was soooo heavy and car would randomly swerve every so often, turns out one of the ball joints was barely holding and couldnt caused a crash at any moment :-s

its better to check the tracking and ask the guy to check the ball joints while he's doing it, he wont charge extra usually, not in my experiences anyway

·
Registered
143 Posts
look in fuse box as some corsa's have electronic assisted steering, a fuse could of gone. and get it tracked

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
moved dont think it should be in the Tutorials section

1 - 17 of 17 Posts