Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Does anyone know where you can get a steering wheel puller to get the standard wheel off a corsa b without an airbag. I know it has to be a special 2 bolt fitment. Also how much would this cost?

Grateful for the help.

Daz

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
If your strong lol you don't need 1 - my girlfriends step dad did hers and just undid bolt and then pulled steering wheel a good few times and it comes off no problems - save yourself some money that way.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
You don't really need 1 tbh.
just get a hammer behind the wheel and tap it whilst someone is pulling hard on it.
I've took countless steering wheels off using this method.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Really! This one seems to be stuck fast! Had two of on it yesterday pulling pretty hard and we bent the wheel before it moved! Ill try the hammer thing though. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok ill try it tomoz at work and see what happens. Not really my car so I don't mind breaking it!

·
Registered
696 Posts
lol just tug on it. hands on opposite side of wheel, push one sde pull the other, do it a few time, oh and loosen the bolt first, but dont take it off or youl lose yer teeth

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
I made my own one out of 2 hex ended bolts and piece of steel, bit of cutting and drilling all thats needed, very crude but does the job perfect! will try and get a pic tomorrow if you want.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That would be great thanks ours is still not coming off tried it with a hammer and 3 of us pulling on it but the wheel is just bending.

·
Registered
389 Posts
just got to say my dad tried to get a steering wheel off once by pulling it ,

it flew off and bust his nose and gave him two black eyes hahaha

so watch out or wear a helmet :D :D :D

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
yea that nearly happened to my girlfriends step dad when he was taking someone elses steering wheel off - he learnt his lesson not to take bolt completely off lol

·
Registered
226 Posts
Sorry to bump such a relic of a thread (i didn't see the need in starting a new thread...), but i'm in desperate need of a steering wheel puller. I spent an entire day last week trying to get the wheel off my Corsa B, but it just won't budge. I've had 5 different people on it (including a Bodybuilder), and it's stuck fast. I've completely raided my tool shed and have used almost every tool in there to try and get this thing off!

I've also tried making my own leverage devices, with little success. I even went down my local 'handyman', and he was stumped!

So, does anyone know where i could get myself a half-decent puller that will get this damn steering wheel off...before i wind up in the mental ward? I've seen a few on ebay, but i'm not sure whether they'd be up to the job...

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Possibly Halfords?

Draper would probably do a steering wheel puller too so it may be worth a google of them.

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
Your local tool hire shop will have a variety of pullers if you don't want to buy one.

I'm always a bit wary of hammering at a steering wheel too much. The steering column has a collapsible section that is designed to give way in the event of an impact. It is possible to bust that if you get too enthusiastic with the hammering and then you're looking at replacing the column as well.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Sorry to bump such a relic of a thread (i didn't see the need in starting a new thread...), but i'm in desperate need of a steering wheel puller. I spent an entire day last week trying to get the wheel off my Corsa B, but it just won't budge. I've had 5 different people on it (including a Bodybuilder), and it's stuck fast. I've completely raided my tool shed and have used almost every tool in there to try and get this thing off!

I've also tried making my own leverage devices, with little success. I even went down my local 'handyman', and he was stumped!

So, does anyone know where i could get myself a half-decent puller that will get this damn steering wheel off...before i wind up in the mental ward? I've seen a few on ebay, but i'm not sure whether they'd be up to the job...
you could also try a large bearing puller,which should be no more than a few quid for 1/2 day hire.:thumbs_up:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Thanks guys.

I've looked in Halfords...they didn't even know what one was!

I'll have to try and find some local tool shops...

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
I must be one strong **** then. Got my steering wheel off my GSi no problems. :confused:
Depends on the tolerances. The wheel & column shaft aren't that critical. If you get a large wheel on a small shaft then it's quite a loose fit. On the other hand, a small wheel on a large shaft is a very tight fit.

It also depends if someone has had it off before.

On the other hand, you may just have had an extra Weetabix that morning...

·
Banned
3,436 Posts
Depends on the tolerances. The wheel & column shaft aren't that critical. If you get a large wheel on a small shaft then it's quite a loose fit. On the other hand, a small wheel on a large shaft is a very tight fit.

It also depends if someone has had it off before.

On the other hand, you may just have had an extra Weetabix that morning...
The bolded bit - that's what the ladies say. ;)

I don't eat Weetabix, just use small children as dumbbells. :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.