All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

For some reason my post about my car not starting has disappeared!

Anyway, it's still not starting in the morning! It was running fine last night once my dad had eventually started it up. Any suggestions?

My dad thinks it could be:

1. My choke isn't letting enough fuel through to start up in the morning
2. My coils are worn

It's been misfiring for some time now when I start it up in the morning. This could perhaps mean that something has worn & needs replacing.

For the record, I've changed my sparkplugs, distributor cap, rotor arm and HT leads. It's not this dodgy fuel problem either.

Help!! :(

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hmm

Dunno why your post disappeared I did reply to it once you got it going dunno if you got that.

I thought you car was fuel injection, if it's got a choke it must be running a carb. Choke valves are notorious for sticking, try seeing if the valve is moving moving freely and that the cable isnt stuck either.

Failing that your carb might be blocked by this lightning stuff you used, I think there are different cleaners for injection and carb engines.

Try looking in your Haynes manual and see what it suggests about cleaning a carb :)

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The car runs like a jet engine when it eventually starts :) No power has been lost.

But it has been misfiring on start up for a long time now, and it's just conked out on me. We got the AA out this morning and the bloke checked my engine bay. He got the engine started, and said it was a great engine for 151,000 miles :rolleyes: Anyway..

The AA bloke checked my coils - fine. He checked everything else & eventually came to the conclusion that damp may have got into the distributor. He cleaned the contacts and suggested I buy a new one.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dunno why your post disappeared I did reply to it once you got it going dunno if you got that.

I thought you car was fuel injection, if it's got a choke it must be running a carb. Choke valves are notorious for sticking, try seeing if the valve is moving moving freely and that the cable isnt stuck either.

Failing that your carb might be blocked by this lightning stuff you used, I think there are different cleaners for injection and carb engines.

Try looking in your Haynes manual and see what it suggests about cleaning a carb :)
Aww Thomas, you're being so helpful. Thanks ;)

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

My car has an engine injector. Just the one though.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
All corsas are injection, lyds you seem to have quite alot of trouble with your corsa :(

It shouldnt be your spark plugs if you changed them, are they the correct type though that could be the reason for misfire and difficult starting

iirc think vauxhall recommend using Bosch FR91X or WR8D+ plugs for the 1.2.

Think i remember you saying that your car has done 150k miles? Hsving a high mileage and difficulty starting in the cold could be the result of low cylinder compression.

The other thing i would of thought is the injection system. hmmm,

check the condition of the spark plugs, run some injector cleaner through the engine and also if possible do a compression check.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
All corsas are injection, lyds you seem to have quite alot of trouble with your corsa :(

It shouldnt be your spark plugs if you changed them, are they the correct type though that could be the reason for misfire and difficult starting

iirc think vauxhall recommend using Bosch FR91X or WR8D+ plugs for the 1.2.

Think i remember you saying that your car has done 150k miles? Hsving a high mileage and difficulty starting in the cold could be the result of low cylinder compression.

The other thing i would of thought is the injection system. hmmm,

check the condition of the spark plugs, run some injector cleaner through the engine and also if possible do a compression check.
Still not sorted guys. Well pissed off now.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I know what you mean, my car occasisonally does this: starts then cuts straight out and when finally get it started runs perfect sometimes better than before and it has had new spark plugs and is a 69 000 engine so should not of these problems as I make sure it is fully serviced and checked out - result = cars can be a major nightmare

But in relation to sorting your car out as clutch said injection cleaner I have yet to do this but is recommended.

·
Registered
100 Posts
just spoken to my dad should have done it first he said my problem seems to be with the choke not set right so garage on monday it is could be the same problem for you? :confused: but its just more money something I seem to be doing a bit to often :(

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Actually the choke not being set right sounds like a likely problem you know lyds?

·
Registered
497 Posts
I had a similar problem when I first got my corsa last year. It would randomly cut out (scary on corners since the power steering went LOL) and then it would struggle to start up again and would run really badly occasionally. Vauxhall reckoned I needed a new ECU, they changed it and the problem was still present, so they put the old ECU back in, and it turned out there was some dodgy wiring or something, they fixed that and I havn't had that problem since. Maybe get someone to check your ECU wiring (maybe the whole cars wiring) as it could be of some help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts