All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there all

I'm a newbie and joined in hope for some solution to this problem. I just became a new car owner to an adorable Corsa Lite 1.3i 97 model.

However, about a month ago, I started noticing a strange "whoosh" sound only when I'm in 5th gear. It goes away when I take the foot off the gas, decelerate or put in clutch.

After googling up a storm, someone mentioned checking the gearbox oil and we found it to be old and smelling like burnt chips. I replaced it completely last week and the sound has quietened a bit, but it is still there - taunting me as soon as I shift into 5th gear.

It doesn't do this in any other gear.

I hope someone has experienced this before, because it's basically killing that I can't figure out the problem.

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
If it was the clutch thrust surely the noise would be there in all gears not just 5th? ... and I don't know how you will check it out without dropping the gearbox off.:confused:

·
Registered
55 Posts
It could be a possibility the 5 gear syncro has gone on the gear box so could possibly be a new gearbox from the scrappy but to check the trust bearing all you have to do is push down on your clutch pedal when the car is idling and if it quiet then goes noisier when released then the bearing is on it way out

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: Strange noise in 5th gear only

Hi all

Just want to thank each and everyone who answered and helped me out.

I have replaced the clutch kit completely about two weeks ago.

However, the noise is slowly, but surely coming back in 5th gear.

The car has more "give" now and it's smoother to change gears, but the irritating sound of the 5th gear screaming for attention is once more back. This time softer, but definitely there. :palm:

Any advice?

Kind regards
Nicole

·
Banned
885 Posts
I can't understand why people think that the synchro unit is causing the problem.
Nicole says that it goes away when she decelerates, this means that, rather than it just being there when 5th gear is engaged (the only time that 5th gear synchro is actually doing anything) it is there all of the time that she is in 5th gear.

I know that the new clutch seems to have made a difference to this noise, but I am just wondering if it is not clutch or gearbox related at all - could it be something as simple as a leak in the exhaust system, a "Whoosh" type of noise could point to something like that.
You could try stuffing a damp rag in the exhaust tail pipe when the engine is at idle speed and see it you can replicate the sound - don't forget to take it out, or you might create a blown exhaust!!

Regards.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi there

The sound disappears when I'm in 5th at a steady speed, as soon as I accelerate the sound comes back. However, once I put in clutch at any time while in 5th, the sound also goes away.

Any advice?

·
Premium Member
8,351 Posts
either 5th gear bearings or diff bearings. new box time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi there

Would that I mean I need to replace the entire gear box or just the 5th gear synchro/bearings etc?

Is it an expensive procedure?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts