All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!

I currently have a Corsa (09 reg) 3 door, 1.3 diesel ecoflex and I've recently noticed an issue with my air conditioning - when the A/C is on there is a noticeable noise coming through the vents. It's hard to explain the noise, but it's like as if you've set the fans on to about 3/4 strength. As soon as I switch off the A/C the noise disappears. Also, what is even more strange, is if I accelerate hard, the strange A/C noise stops, but restarts as soon as I lift my foot off the accelerator. I can't get the noise to stop once I get over about 50mph. I've had the car since new and it has been serviced 3 times in the past 3 years by an official vauxhall garage.

I've not had an aircon recharge since I bought the car from new - maybe this has something to do with it? The air isn't that cold when the A/C is on, so I'm probably due a visit!

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong? Any help is appreciated :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hard to tell from your post whether its something loose/rattling in the ducts/vents, or the air con compressor itself making noise.

What happens when you run just the fresh air vent (no air con cooling) on all settings 1-4? What about when you turn the heater on settings 1-4? What about when you have it making noise on the air con, and then crank the setting to full heat?

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
Sounds like you need a re-gas.

The reason it stops under acceleration is because many AC systems cut off during harder acceleration in order not to take power out of the engine when the driver is wanting to accelerate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for getting back to me gb33 - I've just been out in the car again this morning and the noise sounds like gas releasing rather than something rattling.

When I run the fresh air vent there is no noise (on any setting). The same with the heater (on any setting).

When I have the a/c blowing cold and then crank the heating up, the noise is still present.

Does that help you any further?

That's good to know taurus - I didn't realise that's what happens! Would you recommend going to an official vauxhall garage (ie. masterfit?) or would any garage do?

Thanks again,
Craig

·
Registered
420 Posts
If nothing is rattling/loose, then like Taurus said, then a re-gas would help.

Would you recommend going to an official vauxhall garage (ie. masterfit?) or would any garage do?
If its an option, go to an independent garage, as Vauxhall dealerships are going to charge more.

Even if there is a Vauxhall-specific re-gas valve (I'm not personally sure of this, but wouldn't be surprised), then any general garage that services air con systems will have an adapter because Vauxhalls are everywhere.

If you don't know where to take it, you can try looking for good garage reviews in your area on yelp.co.uk.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK thanks again gb33 - I'll have a look round for a decent garage and report back in case anyone else experiences the same issue in the future.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts