All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there i have a 1998 corsa ls 1.ol and i have a strange 'whump-whump' noise that seems to be coming from the front driversside-ish of the car. It gets faster as i accelerate and slows as i slow so it's rotational and it happens whether in gear or coasting. It is mainly noticeable when turning left and seems to stop when driving dead straight or turning right, although there may be a tiny vibration through the peal(hard to tell if i'm imagining that as i almost expect there to be now) I've checked front wheel bearings which are ok, i changed the rears and rear brake shoes as they needed doing. I've also eliminated wheel noise by swapping wheels out 1 at a time with some spares. I'm thinking it could be c.v. joint but there is no play or noise when front end is jacked up and i rotate and turn the wheels. All the bushes and arms/struts look fine both front and rear and the fan belt is tight enough and looks good but coincidentally my temp gauge has starting wobbling up and down like crazy this morning also, thought i'd include that info just in case this could be relevant at all.

So do you think it's prob c.v or is there something i'm missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks very much

·
Banned
885 Posts
As this noise seems worse when turning left, it is worth having another look at the passenger side wheel bearings, as it is this one which will take the weight of the front end when turning left. Not only should it be smooth to turn by hand when the wheel is jacked up, but there should be hardly any movement when you grasp the wheel top and bottom and try to 'rock' it in and out.

It might also be worth checking that the prake carriers are not seized/partially seized. If that were the case, due to continued wear of the pads, the disc would tend to flex under braking.

Drive shaft joints tend to make a tapping or knocking sound when you are making a turn, but are quiet when driving straight ahead - Try driving in a figure of eight in a deserted car park.

Regards.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice, re-checked bearings all fine, no play and smooth to turn. Had already checked the brakes and all seems fine, i'm thinking it must be a c.v joint but no play or noise when jacked up and rotated etc. so it's hard to know which one. Pretty sure it's drivers side but as to whether it's inner or outer i've no idea. I guess i'll just monitor it carefully and hopefully it will become apparent.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.