All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Yep, My temperature sensor has decided it doesn't want to work anymore..
Was just wondering if theres a tutorial on how to replace one of these and whether anyone knows where I can pick one up for cheap seeing as I'm a part timer at work lol.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Have a feeling I may have one in my tool box, if you can find the part number you require an they match, I'll send it to you :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers man,

It has it moments of working and then all of a sudden it will decide it doesn't want to work again?..

Anyone have any idea where, how i would go about checking it to see if it's come loose or anything?

Thanks In Advance

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
Do you mean the sender for the gauge? If so take the wire off it and earth it. The gauge should read hot. If it does then wiggle the wire to make sure there's no break internally. That shows the gauge and wire are ok, so replace the sender.

If the gauge isn't consistent when earthed then it's a wiring or connection fault.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't a clue atm.. But basically sometimes the temp reader will work and other times (more often than not) It won't work at all.. But i'll check it out and let you know whats what.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
mine packed up on mine a recently, its located on the bottom left of the rad, unclip the plug that goes into it, and get a small piece of wire, and strip off both ends, and plug it into the plug so it is bridged, this should make the fan kick in, as it would usually when the temp gauge reaches a certain temp (usually just over half) as for replacing the sensor, dead simple to replace, just either use a ring spanner or a socket (cant remember what size) and undo it and if you do it quickly, screw the new one back in, as you wown't loose too much coolant. also don't do it up too tight, as it can snap quite easily... also you can put some sealant around the thread of the new one, as it can help, although i found i diddn't need to. the sensor itself cost me about 11 pounds from the local car parts place on an industrial estate. hope that helps in some way?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Probably more than did.

Now i know where it's located and how to see if it need's replacing and now also have the info I need if I do need to replacing. More than helpful.

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
The one on the side of the radiator is the thermoswitch, it doesn't drive the temp. gauge, so unless you fan isn't working leave it alone. They can often seize internally and then the retaining but twists in the housing which means a replacement rad.

On yours there are three temp. related sensors/switches:

1. The small 11mm single wire sender for the gauge.
2. The 19mm twin wire sensor for the ECU
3. The thermoswitch on the rad.

Try what I said above re. earthing the temp. sender wire before doing anything else.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So i take apart my dash and then check the wires on the back of the gauge? And if they're okay it's the thermoswitch that need's replacing?

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
So i take apart my dash and then check the wires on the back of the gauge? And if they're okay it's the thermoswitch that need's replacing?
No. Read what I wrote above. The sender for the gauge is the 11mm unit with the single wire to it. Remove that wire and earth it - then see if the gauge is reading hot. If it is then the gauge & wire are good. Best to double check by wiggling the wire to make sure the gauge doesn't move - if it does then there's a break in the wire.

The thermoswitch & ECU sensor are yours are totally separate and won't affect the gauge reading (unless the thermoswitch fails of course and then the car overheats).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts