All Corsa Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday driving my 1.0 litre corsa B it suddenly got really hard to change gear.

I checked the condition of the cable and that was fine and then I adjusted the cable length a bit (you got a threaded bar at the end of the cable)

The car was ok after i adjusted it, the trouble is the adjustment bar is almost at it's full length so I've not got much adjustment left. The gear change is not quite as good as before even though the pedal is higher than the brake pedal, I could adjust it a little more but then that would be at max adjustment

Is it worth just driving it or is this a warning that I got to bite the bullet and get the clutch changed

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
Might just be a stretched cable

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
I'd check the cable hasn't weakened first - if the clutch plate was failing then it usually doesn't cause clutch drag, it usually slips, which doesn't affect changing gear. Unless the clutch plate has been contaminated - by an oil leak for example - then they can drag and make gear change difficult.

The other thing to check for is the gear linkage - they can make gearchange tricky when they wear.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cables ok

No, think the cables ok. this is because I've had two cables snap over two years and the adjustment was the same on all cables.

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
Two cable snapping suggests there's something wrong with the cable installation - check the top end by the pedal, that's where they can get an edge that cuts into the cable.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
all new cables

replaced the pedal housing when the last cable snapped. All cables were new.

All the cables had the same amount of adjustment left when they were fitted.

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
Cable or cables?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All cables

All cables were new. I went through two new cables then I changed the pedal mechanism as the last time the cable snapped the retaining tab (for the cable end) had snapped.

Due to the fact I went through so many cables I now carry a spare on the car but happily I've not had a problem for around a year.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all

fitted the spare cable and it's the same adjustment length as the one I took off. So it's the clutch.

It's booked in with Mr Clutch - Thanks:(

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem with cables i had bought from my local motor factors. I went through 2 in 18 months:palm:. The third one i bought from vauxhall:thumbs_up:. Its been in the car two years now. Says something for genuine parts.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts