All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son's 60 plate petrol Corsa 1.0 has been diagnosed as having a timing chain issue. Vauxhall say it hasn't snapped but it needs to be replaced at a cost of £711 to start with and there may be more work required once the engine is examined. Before they will agree warranty repair they want to see his service record book which he has mislaid. It was serviced by a trusted local mechanic about 6 weeks ago and he can provide a receipt but Vauxhall want proof of all the parts used. The car has done 24,000 miles. Is this a known problem with this model? How should we proceed as we are currently at stalemate?
All suggestions gratefully received. Thank you.

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
Well if his lost receipts of parts etc, can he not just right you up
Another? Or buy more parts and use this receipts

Reactions: Julieb

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
It's not a known issue for the timing chain to fail at so low a mileage - usually that only happens if people don't service them regularly, or use poor quality parts.

I'll bet Vauxhall are checking which oil filter was used - cheap ones can break up in the housing which then gets into the oilways and starves the chain of oil. That is a known problem yet people still buy cheap parts to service their cars.

They'll check the dates of any receipts provided so anything obtained after they inspected the car will result in them rejecting the claim.

To be honest the only real way to proceed is to find the service records and provide evidence that the correct quality parts were used. Otherwise I doubt Vauxhall will do it on a warranty basis.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts