All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is my first post so apologies if it's a bit rambling... I recently inherited my Mum's car after she passed away, an 04 Agila but it's the same 1.2 engine as in a Corsa C (Z12XE according to the manual), although having only done 48,000 the timing chain tensioner let go and the car has had to have a new head fitted along with new chain etc.
The (experienced) mechanic that's done the work for me can't get the car to start and idle. It will start if towed off but when the revs drop off it stalls and won't restart. Usual checks, fuel is getting through, decent spark etc and he says he's rechecked the timing. I'm not sure if he used a vauxhall timing tool when he did the rebuild and having read around this problem it sounds like it's possible to get the timing slightly out...
Has anyone had any similar experience, my mechanic is saying it's got him stumped but that might be that he can't see the wood for the trees!

·
Registered
420 Posts
This is a total stab in the dark, but are the camshaft and crankshaft sensors installed PERFECTLY? I recall reading somewhere that if the tab that the bolt goes through is slightly bent, or there's some grit under the tab that keeps it from seating correctly it can put either sensor just slightly out of alignment and cause running problems yet not throw a code.

Again, just a thought, could be anything though...good luck.

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
Sorry to hear about your Mum

Have you asked him if he used the timing kit for them - it would be very easy to get the timing out without it - especially the phase disc on the inlet camshaft.

Plus - they often slip slightly after the job is done. I've seen a few done by experienced mechanics that need to be retimed.

As gb33 says - if the crankshaft and camshaft sensors are slightly out of phase they can be troublesome and don't always throw a code - if they do it's usually the camshaft sensor code that comes up. But if it's got fuel and spark then usually the crank/cam sensors are working OK.

The other thing to check is the EGR gasket - I've seen a few where people have been given the gasket for the X12XE instead of the Z12XE - they are slightly different and if the wrong one goes on it leaves a port open which causes an air leak into the manifold. (Due to the engines using the same head but different manifolds)

The other thing that can happen with the Z series engines is that the throttle body setup can need checking on the ECU - depends what diagnostic kit he's using.

·
Registered
131 Posts
By what you are saying,the timing not being spot on is a possibility.If you can get hold of a Haynes manual for the type of engine you have it will give you a very good step by step guide how to set up the timing.It also tells you the tools that are required to set it up,plus ways to fabricate an alternative if you don't have the correct tools.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.