All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so was driving 1.0 corsa 2004 when i heard a loud ticking noise kid of like a coin in a washing machine sound and had loss of power so pulled over immediately and switched off engine and towed it to my mechanic who firstly diagnosed it as a conrod but he said it also sounded like it was misfiring so he pulled the plugs to find one without a tip so he did a compression test and it was fine so he popped a new plug in and started it up and it was ticking over fine but i the rattling noise from the tip was still there now he cant look at it till next week but has said it will more than likely need a new piston , head skimmed and maybe a conrod does this seem right and how much would i be expecting to fork out

this much had fallen into the engine

·
Registered
420 Posts
I believe a moderately well-equipped garage should be able to run a boroscope down the spark plug hole to see how much damage the loose electrode did. If you're lucky, then its possible that it just scratched out a few small divots out of the piston and head and would still be fine if they can retrieve the broken electrode or blow it out the exhaust valves with compressed air, but is also possible that it did worse damage.

What the mechanic told you really sounds like a 'worst case scenario' to me, which always makes me suspicious because they might be looking to do more work for £££ than is absolutely necessary. Then again, he might be just prepping you for the worst so that you're relieved if they don't have to do as much work as they originally stated. Is this a trusted garage?

As far as cost is concerned, its too hard to say. Different regions have different prices, and some garages charge very reasonable prices whilst others commit robbery every chance they get. Hence the importance of knowing whether its a good garage or not.

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
^ As above - says it all.

But you might try removing the plug, turning that piston towards TDC and inspecting what you can see with a torch through the plug hole. You won't see a lot, but it'll give you an idea of any impact damage to the piston crown.

If the tip is still in there you might be able to get it out with grease on the end of flexible straw.

·
Banned
885 Posts
It would pay NOT to run the engine until you have removed the broken electrode (if it is still there to remove, that is) as if it becomes trapped under a valve, it could do even more damage.

Regards.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was going to say the same thing? If the electrodes come off you would just stick a new plug in and run it?! All you need is the part to get stuck in a valve and next the heads comming off!

Get that bit out ASAP.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.