All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone on here regularly use a torque wrench when doing jobs on their engines? I am not talking about tightening head bolts and the likes i just mean like normal nuts and bolts.

I am doing some work on my corsa b at the moment and found some of the bolts loose on the water pump and the drivers side engine mount and just tightened them right up but I didn't use any torque wrench (cause I aint got one being one of the reasons!) but they should be all right don't you think?

·
Registered
752 Posts
well.. its one of those things mate,
to me anything that makes a seel and is bolted on should have the correct torque setting.
the risk you have is warping the surface of say a gasket and causing a leak.

take the 1.5 diesel corsas rocker cover.. the bolts only need 8Nm of torque.

i have a device that pluggs onto a normal 3/8 socket set and its a ajustable "torque gauge" when you get to the correct setting it clicks, handy pice of kit.

cos when it comes to undoing anything i just love my impact hammer. that and Stillson's best tools ever!

·
Pro Spanner Wielder
13,501 Posts
I've got one, but don't use it hardly at all, bought it to do hub nuts back up as its fairly crucial to the wheel bearing to be correct. If i ever took the head off or even the rocker cover, i'd torque them up correctly, but things like engine covers or other ancillaries, i would just do them up as tight as it seems necessary, if it looks like its going to break, back off a bit.

·
Pro Spanner Wielder
13,501 Posts
^ this, also if you use them for cracking bolts/nuts expect them to bend. if bought cheep.

its all i had before the impact hammer.
thats not what they are designed for though so cant really be counted as a flaw of cheap torque wrenches. If a lightbulb smashed when i tried to hammer a nail in with it i wouldnt call it a bad lightbulb...

·
Registered
752 Posts
yeah, i forgot to mention that it was never taken to the max torque rating on the wrench.. meh i only picked it up for £4 and i did expect it not to last long.

after every bolt you torqued up you would have to set the gauge back to "0" as it would be off by a few Nm.

basicly, dont buy a cheep one. wont last and wont give a good reading.

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
Indeed with the breaker bar and impact driver set. I almost sold my tools when i quit working as a mechanic. Glad i never now!.
Nothing worse than not having the right tool to do something and you need to bodge
I have a fairly adequate tool collection, but imagine how I felt when I had to ask my neighbour if I could borrow him, his thread die tapping set thingy, a 10mm allen key...oh yeah plus a couple of 10 mile each way lifts into town just to get two screws worth 11p each just so I could change my disc brakes lol.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts