All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been on one?
If so where? and are they worth the money? do you get to do a lot of driving?
I'm thinking of going to a track day at either Oulton Park or Aintree Circuit; anyone been to either of those?

·
Premium Member
18,555 Posts
in your corsa? I wouldnt bother mate, would be embarrasing! my dad did one on his motorbike nd he got quite a while on the track but that was at brands hatch so i dont know if its different.

If you mean like one of them driving experiences you usually get like 6 laps

·
Registered
731 Posts
why would it be embarrasing if your in a 1.2 corsa..

i know people who have done them in 1.3 cdti's..
it's about taking part and having fun, not what car you got.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Iv seen mrk 3 fiestas go round track :laugh: . Personally i think they are great, its worth the money and you can really see how your car performs without risking yours and other peoples lives on the road. You can see how quick your car is against others on track too :p (properly not just of some traffic lights :laugh:) you also learn your car and your driving limits and know how to become a good driver.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol, dream on fella, not at 17, you might be lucky with a proper skyline (turbo) at 19-20
well yeah i havnt bought it yet but it will be a track day only car because, as you said, insurance wont toich me with the worlds longest hypothetical barge pole.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I would really like to doa track day in a nice powerful motor, I think that would be a great experience :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you also learn your car and your driving limits and know how to become a good driver.
yeah good call. thats one of the reasons i want to do one but it wont help that much as the car i will be using is RWD and totally different to my normal car, but im sure i will learn something.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Its a cool idea to buy a performance car that you can use, its just alot of people have issues with space and a tow car. Id like to do it but i cant afford a tow car so i will just be driving me track weapon there when its finally roadworthy :p

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
space isnt a problem :thumbs_up:
yeah i was worrying about a tow car this morning. My dad has a merc sprinter van with a tow bar an i can get hold of a trailer. but he's normally busy :(
do you think a 1.7TD corsa c would do?

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
No chance im afraid, skylines are big cars, id be looking at 2.5litre+ persaude your dad to buy a BMW 540 or something lol can pick them up for like £500.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
he's also got a 2.0 vectra?
i might persuade him to get the bmw though :p
the only thing is the van is really good because i can put extra tyres and some tools in it which is hard in a saloon :shocked:

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
he's also got a 2.0 vectra?
i might persuade him to get the bmw though :p
the only thing is the van is really good because i can put extra tyres and some tools in it which is hard in a saloon :shocked:
Best bet would be to use the Van. You gotta get a car first though lol

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah exactly :(
i've got to wait until next jan/early feb before i get anythin though so i'll update when somthing actually happens :thumbs_up:

but still any expieriences people have had with track days or airfield days or anything like that would be much appreciated :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
You are not able to tow more than 750kg unless you take the towing test which is about £500.

Track days are dangerous places, I've done a few on my bike and binned it as well !

·
Registered
143 Posts
well yeah i havnt bought it yet but it will be a track day only car because, as you said, insurance wont toich me with the worlds longest hypothetical barge pole.
so they would insure you to rag it round a track i dont think so lol

·
Registered
184 Posts
Your old man would be happy for a 17 year old just passed their test to take a 300bhp+ car onto a track and drive it to their limits? - it sounds like a recipe for a very serious off.

I saw a novice rider at Mallory a few years ago who considered themselves to be very quick, go out on a track, do a couple of sessions in the novice group, and then move up to inters because they wanted to ride with their mates.

At this point, they are totally out of their depth, and the only place they can go fast is in a straight line, come to a corner and crash out in spectacular style at about 125mph on Gerrards writing off a brand new RSVR Mille, and breaking their collar bone, as they didn't know how fast you could safely take the corner (about 110mph)

Driving or riding on the track is a completely different set of skills to being on the road, and ones which you cannot short cut on.

If you want to learn how to go fast on the track, you start on a smaller slower more nimble vehicle, and then once you have mastered it, and acquired some skill, then move up.

Not wanting to burst your bubble, but I'd not want to be on a track with a novice 17 year old driving a skyline to their limit (not the cars)

Oh, Oulton Park is a very technical circuit also !

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Track driving is driving on the "edge" pushing the car/bike and your ability to the limit, therefore this leaves no room for error. Ash-uk is right, jumping into a skyline straight onto a track will only lead to misery. A better car would be a stripped out 1.6-2.0 corsa ;) ;) ;) :laugh:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts