All Corsa Forum banner

TRAITOR THREAD: 106 Quicksilver - project OEM+

15K views 139 replies 22 participants last post by  tomosllyr 
#1 ·
So as some of you will know, I've been a member on here for a few years and previously had a Corsa B .COM 5 door. The progress of that car can be seen here:
http://www.allcorsa.co.uk/forums/showthread.php/corsa-b-com-29948.html?t=29948&highlight=.com

So towards the end I got a little bored of the Corsa, and also wasn't happy that I was paying so much running costs and not getting any enjoyment out of it. I've always liked Peugeots, and decided to look for a 106 Quicksilver. The running costs should be almost identical to the Corsa, but with slightly more power and a better ride.

After a few disappointments in terms of arranging viewings for cars, I came accross this Quicksilver. It was on ebay for £950, and didn't sell so I decided to have a look at it. It's done 70k, with some service history. In the last 6 months it's had a few parts changed - driveshafts, droplinks, full exhaust, discs etc. Underneath it is immaculate - as clean as I've ever seen a 106. There were a few issues with the bodywork - the passenger side specifically is quite bad. But I'm not afraid of a bit of grafting, and as I have a mate who's a professional sprayer and has his own booth I should be able to repair it fairly cheaply. At least all the important bits are clean. And another massive bonus for me was that the car is completely standard - even down to the wheel trims and radio! I finally got him down to £850 with 6 months tax thrown in, which I'm very happy with.

My plans? Well for now I'm going to concentrate on tidying her up. I have been looking into buying a replacement door and wing, but it would cost more than materials for repair, and if I repair it at least I can do it all properly including the rear bumper, wing mirrors etc. So it'll probably be a fill and spray job over summer. As I'm adhering to a student budget, it might be a long-haul project.

I'm planning on keeping it as standard as possible, although maybe with a touch of OEM+. I've already sourced some 14" nimrods which should be on their way. A slight bit of kerbing, but I've refurbed a few sets of wheels before so that will probably be another project over summer. I've also fitted bright white smd led sidelights, and osram nightbreaker plus' which I had on my Corsa. But they'll probably be the only mods for a long time. I want it to be an understated but really immaculate model.

If anyone has any suggestions or comments - particularly cheap, OEM mods - then please let me know!

Few pics:

And the damage:

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Work done:
- Re-sprayed everywhere apart from boot lid, bonnet, roof and front bumper
- Fitted CC'd saxo mirrors
- Red calipers
- Refurbed two-tone GTi alloys
- Custom MP3 player dock
- JVC headunit
- De-rusted and waxoyled body
- Hidden immobiliser switch
- Painted slam panel
- SMD sidelights
- Osram Nightbreaker+ headlights

Future plans:
- Slowly (because of budget) upgrade the handling
- Look into fitting VTR inlet manifold, a decent exhaust and a decent induction kit (apparently can give a 15bhp increase)
- Fit GTi 247mm or 266mm brakes
- Paint manifold cover and rocker cover

#3 ·
The gear knob was annoying me, so I decided to spray it with some gold spray I had left over from my 306:

But a few days later I sourced a new gear knob, so had that fitted:

So then I had this rip to fix:

So I bought this:

I'm not 100% sold on it, as I'd like it to be more subtle. There's a Quicksilver badge on the door with a 3d portion to it, so I might try sourcing one of them so the 3d bit can cover the rip.

These are the wheels I've bought (in the middle of being rubbed down) - not bad for £50 with decent tyres and delivery! There's a bit of paint bubbling but nor kerbing at all. I decided to stick with 14"s as I think fitting 15"s to the Corsa ruined it slightly.

They're going white with a black lion in the centre cap. I know white's a risk with wheels, but as the silver's quite dark I think it'll work.

#4 ·
Oh and also the handling modifications started a lot earlier than anticipated - I saw this going cheap on ebay and couldn't resist!

Will be going white with the rest of the alloy paint, with black feet. Can't decide if I'm going to fit Sparco stickers after painting (I already have them) or keep it more subtle? Next up for handling will be poly-bushes, thicker ARB's and lowering.

Let me know what you think guys!

#6 ·
Cheers! I've been pleasantly surprised by it actually. Great ride even with standard shocks and height. Nice and firm. Hopefully it'll be a good little runaround once I sort the bodywork out.

#8 ·
Thanks! It's nice to have a high-spec car with some refinements again. And yes, I've come to agree with you - big wheels ruin cars! Really happy with the alloys I've bought. Cost me less than £65 including delivery, better tyres than I already have and a refurb!

#10 ·
Was expecting some sort of comment - should've known it would come from you!

Haha I'm the same with the saxo/106 issue, which is weird as they're basically the same car. My dad called me up after I told him I was going to look for a 106 and said that our next door neighbour was selling a saxo (a lady in her 60's which has owned the car almost since new and uses it rarely) - would've been ideal for me but there was no way I was going to go for it!

#12 ·
That's ****ing awesome!

I'm the same with 106/Saxos.
Before I bought my Sport, I originally wanted a 106 gti, but they were all either massive mileage or too expensive. Could get a decent Saxo VTS for less than I paid for the Corsa but couldn't do it to myself! Hate them.

Yours looks nice. Should be great mce the damage is sorted and stuff. Didn't the quiksilver come with alloys though? Wasn't it the highest spec bar the gti and ralleye?

#17 ·
Has to be from a specific Audi I think. I'd love to do that mod but more than happy to wait till I find a cheap one!

#18 ·
Some people sell the cup holders, not hard to do at all as I did it to mine and it didn't cost £20.

I love the 106's, if I ever owned another would be the Rallye or the GTI, GTI's like you said have high mileage and have most probably been ragged, should get a pugsport for it :p

Thought about some gti leather seats for it?

#19 ·
If I can find one cheap then I'll do it. But have got other things I'd rather spend my money on for now.
I had a look at some gti cloths a few days ago, but then thought actually there's nothing wrong with the standard quicky seats and it would go against everything I want this car to be!

#21 ·
The door mirror caps will be done same time as the passenger side. I like the silver/black theme so the door handles and b pillar will be staying black.

And I don't think I'll be getting a spoiler actually - everyone fits one and I like it well enough without one!

#25 ·
Aww reminds me of my pug 106 quicksilver I had before my corsa. Will deffo be following this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! Seems like I'm the only one going from a Corsa to a 106 :shocked:

I might still have my front fog lights (round ones) knocking about somewhere. Do u want them if I can find?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well mine are working fine, but I've been thinking of looking for new ones as mine are really cloudy. But depends what yours are like and how much you'd want for them?

#26 ·
Got bored while revising, so went on Pugmodder. I want it to be looking something like this - all I've changed is put on white nimrods (although they are 16" instead of 14"), CC'd saxo mirrors, and lowered about 35mm:

#27 ·
Right I need people's opinions - just found a pair of saxo mirrors down the road from me. They're in white, but the guy only wants £10 for them, so cheap enough for me to buy and then CC. However, do you think they might work without being CC'd? White mirrors with white wheels? Or would it just look stupid?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.