All Corsa Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it worth the time and money to modify a 1.2 16 valve engine? what kind of power could be gained, and would it be worth it?

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Hmmm not really mate, i like the tinkering of engines, but it really not worth it, you will pay alot of money for less than impressive gains. i wanted to mod mine but im just saving for a new motor now and mod that :D

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
its not a main stream tuning engines so theres not really many mods for it

try induction kit
decat and stainless steal exhaust
maybe a 4 branch manifold
fse boost valve to regulate fuel

other then that im lost

d

·
Registered
393 Posts
you can't really do that much with them mechanically i.e. camshafts, porting etc. because the head and the block start fighting each other (in tuning terms) summarised, this means that anything you do to the head will make it want to spin-up faster, but the long-stroke nature of the block will fight against it so anything you do will become self-defeating and produce only very small power gains. If you were determined enough with the block, lighter pistons, race-spec con-rods and a lighter flywheel would be the way to go before tuning the head to suit, but again i wouldn't expect much out of it in terms of mid-range torque, it'll more than likely end up with top-end power and nothing else below and still not much improvement over standard.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
you can't really do that much with them mechanically i.e. camshafts, porting etc. because the head and the block start fighting each other (in tuning terms) summarised, this means that anything you do to the head will make it want to spin-up faster, but the long-stroke nature of the block will fight against it so anything you do will become self-defeating and produce only very small power gains. If you were determined enough with the block, lighter pistons, race-spec con-rods and a lighter flywheel would be the way to go before tuning the head to suit, but again i wouldn't expect much out of it in terms of mid-range torque, it'll more than likely end up with top-end power and nothing else below and still not much improvement over standard.
So eventually you'll damage the engine in the long run?

·
The 2nd coming
22,451 Posts
of course, its not designed for more power, its designed to withstand the pressure / power that the engine has as standard!

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
some serious lightening of the car, would that help? i'll slap the engine in the back! i'm up for trying anything :D

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
some serious lightening of the car, would that help? i'll slap the engine in the back! i'm up for trying anything :D
still too heavy regardless, there is a limit when fiitting bigger engines, a 20LET will handle better and would be quicker :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Try This

I was going to buy a 1.2L 16V corsa until I realised it was a bad engine for tuning. Turns out the 1.4L 16V is only £30 a year more on my insurance and is a much better engine for tuning.

Shouldn't cost to much more to run on petrol and your still in the lower tax band.

I'm hoping to get one about July now ;)

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
The only real decent engines to tune from a corsa is the 1.6 dont bother with the X14Xe

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
The x14xe's are good for what they are, but if you can afford it then the next natural step is the x16xe, then the big block engines after that.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.