All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so im abit in-experienced in the turbo section of cars as in putting a turbo on an engine that hasnt got one as standard and i know theres a port for the mani9fold and one for the exhaust elbow the the oil feed. Could anyone give me an idea of what else id to go on?

Thanks

·
Banned
8,758 Posts
What engine? you need alot more then just a turbo check out my honda build thread, you might pick up some good tips from there.

Reactions: Stephend92

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What's the turbo going on? Which engine, which car? Can't help you if we don't know enough info.
well i want to be different and not many will agree on me doing this but its fun so im going to do it. I have a 1.4 8v corsa, sourced a manifold tho not sure if a 2.0 8v mani will fit a 1.4? then sourced a turbo for a direct fit onto it. just not sure of making the oil return and oil feed etc, its been done on here before so i know its possible.

thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You'll need to make sure it's a really small turbo, or the engine might not have enough gasses to spool it up properly.

Intercooler would be a good idea as well. Not sure how the standard management would cope with forced induction either.
yea intercooler will be got along with it, have plenty of time for research etc tho :)

·
Banned
8,758 Posts
the one you posted, one goes to intercooler, one goes on manifold and the other goes to downpipe/exhaust.

·
Pro Spanner Wielder
13,501 Posts
Basics real quick:

Most turbos have 6 main points of interest.

Split the turbo in 2 in your head, you have a cold side, and a hot side. The hot side (called the turbine) has a port (or flange to term it correctly) that bolts to the manifold. This pipes hot fast flowing exhaust gas into the turbine housing to spin the turbine wheel. The turbine housing also has another flange, after the turbine wheel that bolts to an exhaust downpipe and pipes out to the rest of the exhaust system.

The cold side (called the compressor) has a compressor wheel that is driven by the motion of the turbine wheel spinning. This compressor housing has two ports (not flanges, they dont bolt, they clamp hoses on with clips). One of which you attach your air filter and other induction piping, including a MAF if you have one , to. The other port pipes the compressed air either to an intercoooler if you're running one, and out the other side to the inlet manifold, or directly to the inlet manifold if you're not.

The 5th point of interest is the wastegate actuator (the gold coloured round part in the pic you posted) This is connected to an inlet manifold boost reference source (or VAC line) and is a device that uses the level of boost fed to it to be able to regulate the exhaust gas flow to limit or control boost.

The 6th point of interest is the oil feed/drain lines, and/or the coolant lines, some turbos are oil cooled, some are oil AND water cooled.

Thats about as basic as a turbo gets. But honestly, if you're having to ask these kinds of questions this early on, turbo'ing something that is n/a by default probably isn't for you. What is it anyway?

·
Premium Member
8,351 Posts
a 2.0 manifold wont fit a smallblock. as far as i know there isnt one available. courtenay used to make them 16 odd years ago.

what have you done to lower the comp ratio and to fuel it?

·
Pro Spanner Wielder
13,501 Posts
a 2.0 manifold wont fit a smallblock. as far as i know there isnt one available. courtenay used to make them 16 odd years ago.

what have you done to lower the comp ratio and to fuel it?
Given the initial post/question, do you really think he's going to be in a position to answer those questions? Give some advice, instead of prohibitively worded, provocative questions.

·
Premium Member
8,351 Posts
what? i asked 2 questions of him. theres no point stating "buy a gt30" when hes on stock internals is there?

·
Banned
8,758 Posts
That's not right.
One goes to intercooler if you have one, intake manifold if you don't
One goes to air filter
One goes to exhaust manifold
one does go to a downpipe though otherwise its not gonna lead anywhere!?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.