All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,
i have a corsa b 1998 1.4i 8v and im wondering if theres any bigger brake discs and pads i can put on my car, which will fit without making any big modifications 2 my car or anything... like can i take sum discs and pads off say a 1.8 cavalier and make them fit on my car or something... jus i want a bit more stoppin power coz my brakes r s*** lol.. thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
Fit 2 litre barkes off an astra GTE and the calipers too! They will fit directly on and look abit better behind a set of alloys too! :D I *think* they are 256mm brakes (though someone correct me if im wrong), or you could go the next step up and use V6 brakes, but you will need to either buy a set of 5 stud disks (from a v6 vectra) and have them re-drilled to 4 stud, or buy a 4 stud specific kit from LMF (but it get pricey as you will need the bigger calipers and carriers too!) and you will also need spiggot rings to centre the disks correctly on the hubs with V6 brakes too! :)

Jon :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thnx m8... so like i dont have to change anything drastic on the brakes if i take em off an astra GTE??? everything will jus fit on as normal?? is there a particular year or not i have to take the parts off aswell??? lol sorry bout this im totally new 2 this forum and im canny crap wit cars lol

·
Registered
79 Posts
The brakes you want came off the later astra GTE (the mark 2) not the smaller mark 1, which was around roughly 88,89, and early 90's. if you have an ebay account, search for astra GTE brakes and you should get a few hits. Link to a pic of a GTE (http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j287/slingyturbo/Picture076.jpg)

As with all brakes, i'd recommend buying new disks (as you dont know how they were treated before, i.e. bedded in properly) however the calipers should just pop off and pop back onto yours (though i'd take the caliper carriers from the astra just incase). When you get the calipers clean them up and inspect them for damage or leaks (and if you can do it in the scrappy with a rag even better, saves you buying crap ones)

Jus thought, not to sound obvious, but you will also need to bleed the brake system and refresh with new fluid too! :)

·
Registered
389 Posts
you can buy brembo grooved and vented discs for around £50 which are for a corsa then maybe get some green stuff pads or similer this will improve it a bit without alot of work involved.

·
Registered
585 Posts
You can use Cavalier 2.0L brakes also which are the same ones mentioned above. Easier to find and just as good as the GTE since they are the same.

You can also get braided brake hoses that look better cosmetically as well as performing better. I'm about to upgrade mine soon and I'll be looking to make a guide with pics.

·
Registered
393 Posts
i've found that just using braided hoses makes quite a difference on their own with the standard calipers.
i'd recommend changing the hoses first and testing them out, it might save you a fair bit of money if you just fit the uprated calipers to find that your brakes are over-powering.

·
Registered
13 Posts
still looking??

not sure if your still looking for brakes but i'm breakin my l corsa this month if u want the 2.0 litre callipers n pads on the cheap cheap

discs are a bit nakered but pads have only done bout 200 miles at the very most

·
Registered
354 Posts
Please could someone tell me the standard brake disc size for a corsa b 1.2 ? as I was going to upgrade my brakes but its already got 256mm discs on I just woundered what the original ones should be.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts