All Corsa Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I attempted to reverse out of my drive about an hour ago to be met with a nice loud exhuast sound. I thought wow that sounds nice so got out to find out it was me! I looked under the car and where y exhuast meets teh cat i had no exhaust connected.

So heres my questions:

If i put a straight pipe from teh cat bend it in the necessary places and stick a back box on will it be too loud? I mean i like it loud but i don;t want to get pulled or fail an mot!

Secondly what bore is the corsa exhaust as i need to get the piping.

Thirdly would a custom exhuast with teh ctandard cat and downpipe pass the M.O.T?

Cheers

Shr3ky

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
long as the cat is on it, it will pass no problem. remove the cat, it will fail.

you could put a pipe in where the cat is, but it will be louder. not sure how loud as its only standard bore.

not sure on orginal bore size mate

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
You will not get pulled or fail an MOT for the volume of your exhaust. Trust me I been driving with mine for over a year and it is well loud.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
My old one was decatted, and sraight through pipe untill the backbox. sounded like some sort of touring car and never got pulled over once. wont pass the MOT without the CAT though.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah ok so a straight through pipe is just taking the mid box out? I have to have the back box lol :D

OK cheers :D

I liked it with no backbox or mid box lol

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah but with the 2" system with no boxes it isn;t actually that loud, i mean i have just an engine no exhuast and its bearable
just got a bit light headed in the cab :S

But with the downpipe on it was a nice subtle tone lol and wasn;t that loud evan in neatrul and i put me foot most of the way down :D

But i think tomorrow i will jsut make a pipe from the cat all the way out the other side no boxes, put a tip on it and bingo see what its like :D maybe have it out the side see how my welding goes :D

I'll put a picture up after :D

Shr3k

P.S Any tips please post them now lol!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well i went into my local garage, me dad's mate's is friends with the manager and explained i had no cat abck.

He realised that my mid box and back box were nakered so i bought a performance back box from me m8 and got that welded on and the mid box removed and a pipe welded straight through.

Anyway now i have a pretty loud exhuast. At the garage it wasn;t that loud but coming up to me nans it was getting louder and after running it for about 30 mins it got quite loud. I think the carbon starts to cover the welds and stuff and the system gets louder?

Anyway next i got to remove cat lol ;)

Shr3k

·
Registered
611 Posts
You will not get pulled or fail an MOT for the volume of your exhaust. Trust me I been driving with mine for over a year and it is well loud.
well... sorry to say this, but those who reckon you cant get pulled or fail an MOT for a loud exhaust, you're wrong and have been lucky. police are now (and have been for a while) stopping people and are testing the volume of exhausts at 3000rpm and a distance of 3 feet IIRC. think the legal limit is something like 98db and you WILL get fined if your exhaust is above the legal limit..

as for the original question, if you have a straight through on a 1.2 8v with only a backbox (no cat or centre box) with the standard 1 and 3/4 inch system, you might find you get a metallic tinny noise when you accelerate hard it. i had this problem when my cat blew out and a few people i know had the same problem when they de-catted their 1.2 8v's

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Nobody said you cant. you just probably wont. like doing any modification really :) yes they can test you, but if your driving like a loud prick past them then you deserve to be tested and fined

·
Registered
611 Posts
if you lived up here in Aberdeen, guarentee you'd get pulled. police are so strict up here and like to hide in dark corners :laugh: chances are, you will get away with it, and yeah, you have a point about it being the same as any other mod.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts