All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering if anyone knows roughly how long it takes for their engineer to install a new tv box and 30mb modem?
i've got a normal virgin cable modem. the e-mail i got when i ordered the upgrade said 2 hours but i'm guessing that's if there's no wires already there:confused:

·
Registered
76 Posts
When i last moved we had 3 boxs fitted 2 in upstairs bedrooms and 1 in living room plus telephone and broadband, they had to fit wires in the house as it never had virgin there before, took them an hour but the cable was upto the pavement outside the house.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
If you alraedy have the current modem, they just need to unplug it and plug a new one in.

From the isolator on the wall, they can split off from there and run a new cable to where you want the STB.

Probably looking at about 30 minutes realistically.

Reactions: steve85

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
No problem.
Obviously, if you have furniture everywhere that needs moving, it will take longer.

Try to visualise where the cables would be run.
If you imagine a cable going along skirting board and through a wall in the corner, make sure there isnt a book case or cabinet in the corner.
People used to pull the book case out for me a couple of inches so I 'can fit a small cable down there'
They never thought that maybe to make a hole in the wall I would need to fit a drill in the 2 inch gap they have given me :palm:

If possible, they will just run cable on the outside of the hosue as it's much easier and quicker and dont look messy inside.

Oh, and if they do have to run a cable on the inside, make sure you don't have a marble fireplace in the way - installers hate them because you cant stick the cable to them :D

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
there's just my tv stand in the way which is easy enough to shift and the wire to the modem goes to shelf under my desk. i've got a wall mount coming sometime this week for the tv was gonna ask if the can give me some excess cable an extra 2-3 metres should be ok would they do that?

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
203 meters......?
They would most likely sell you a drum of 250 meters for say £20-£40 (Trade price is around £80+VAT but they get it for free, but they still need to account for it)

If you get a subcontractor though instead of an inhouse installer, chances are, they wont sell you bugger all.

Best you can hope for is a couple of F Connectors.

They may make the cable a few meters longer than it needs to be if you ask them nicely - that way you can move it elsewhere at a later point if you want to.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
203 meters......?
They would most likely sell you a drum of 250 meters for say £20-£40 (Trade price is around £80+VAT but they get it for free, but they still need to account for it)

If you get a subcontractor though instead of an inhouse installer, chances are, they wont sell you bugger all.

Best you can hope for is a couple of F Connectors.

They may make the cable a few meters longer than it needs to be if you ask them nicely - that way you can move it elsewhere at a later point if you want to.
:laugh: 2-3 not 203

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Ah right - yeah, a couple of meters wouldnt make sod all difference to the installer mate.

Reactions: steve85
1 - 11 of 11 Posts