All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, i dint know if this was something i should b concerned about but in heavy rain, my break warning light and battery warning lights both fade on and off, especially when going through large puddles. they dont properly come on, just faded as if water was gettin into the engine and f**king things up. and i was wondering if this would be any good and if it would stop the problem: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAUXHALL-CORS...ryZ10404QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

thanks alot

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
tbh mate it could be anything theres a **** load of wires under a bonnet an water can get any where lol. i would suggest opening the bonnet an looking for any split wires or something? manily look underneath the car!

·
Registered
389 Posts
dont go through big puddles in the rain they are not good for a petrol car as it is. also its not good that they are comming on and off i will look into that for you .

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks mate.ill really appreciate that.why are petrol cars no good through puddles??are diesels any better??ill have a look for any loose wiring 2moz

·
Registered
497 Posts
From the sounds of it, it's your alternator belt. When you go through a big puddle water splashes up around the engine, if the alternator belt gets wet it will slip and obviously won't be charging the battery. That explains the battery light coming on. Petrols aren't good with water, because they rely on a spark to ignite the fuel, if it gets damp there will be no spark and the fuel will not ignite, but there are 4 plugs (maybe 3 if you've got a 1.0 corsa), if one goes your car will just perform crap, if 2 or more goes you'll be lucky if the engine stays running. If that happens just let it dry out for a few hours and it will be fine, but while they are damp they wont spark and the engine could stop.

Diesels on the other hand compress the fuel and it ignites because it is under such a high pressure, it's only if water gets sucked into the air intake that you can damage a diesel, if water gets into the air intake look out lol.

I think thats right anyway lol.

EDIT: Just seen the ebay item you posted and that would probably work, but it's a lot of money to stop a couple of lights coming on. Does the car actually do anything different when they come on? If not then I wouldn't worry too much about it, as long as your brake fluid is topped up and alternator belt is in good shape I can't see there's anything to worry about. Always easier to avoid or slow down through puddles :p

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanx for the post.very good information.ye iv got a 4cyl 1.2 and the alternator belt used to slip but i got it tightened so it doesnt do that any more and after heavy rain the alternator makes a slight clicking noise like a really old fiesta or ka engine does.it doesnt affect the charging or performance (well,what performance i get.lol) but i was just wondering if it was damaging the engine. p.s- ive been through some pretty big puddles and my car seems to cope really well with them, i went through a massive one and mine ploughed through it and the new mercedes in front went through it and broke down in front of me.lol.it was sweet driving past them in ma N reg corsa.lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts