All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there. So, I've recently got my first car, it's an Opel Corsa 1.2 16V from 2002. I got 142k km on it, and it started doing weird noises recently. As I've read it should have a timing chain, and that shouldn't need a replacement, am i right? The weird noise is coming out only after a longer period of staying still, for example after 8 hours at work, it does weird noises. But, these noises are only loud while I'm staying with my engine running on neutral, when i move and warm it or something, it stops almost entirely and only a slight noise that's not normal is coming out. Also, when i opened the hood to listen closely to this sound, i noticed there are two sounds actually, one's coming from a belt that's on the side of the motor, on alternator, and the other is a little bit like rattling from inside the motor somewhere. What this could be? Should i get my chain checked, or even replaced? I would like to avoid replacement since that would be way too costy for the age of this car. Thanks so much for advice in advance! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey there. So, I've recently got my first car, it's an Opel Corsa 1.2 16V from 2002. I got 142k km on it, and it started doing weird noises recently. As I've read it should have a timing chain, and that shouldn't need a replacement, am i right? The weird noise is coming out only after a longer period of staying still, for example after 8 hours at work, it does weird noises. But, these noises are only loud while I'm staying with my engine running on neutral, when i move and warm it or something, it stops almost entirely and only a slight noise that's not normal is coming out. Also, when i opened the hood to listen closely to this sound, i noticed there are two sounds actually, one's coming from a belt that's on the side of the motor, on alternator, and the other is a little bit like rattling from inside the motor somewhere. What this could be? Should i get my chain checked, or even replaced? I would like to avoid replacement since that would be way too costy for the age of this car. Thanks so much for advice in advance! :)
Sounds like it might be a serpentine belt that needs replacing. As for the rattling noise, I have no idea.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like it might be a serpentine belt that needs replacing. As for the rattling noise, I have no idea.
Thanks a lot for an answer! Currently the sounds are even worse, now there's some terrible squeaking even when i move, on cold starts only. After a night or so, when i start up in the morning, first minute is really loud even inside of the car even when I'm driving, then it gets more quiet until it almost entirely disappears. Planning on getting it checked at local mechanic shop, see what they'll tell me :) but the aux belt with tensioner will need replacement for sure, maybe even some of the pulleys. Will see :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts