All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hiya everyone

what oil do you think would be the best for my engine it is a 1.2 16v S reg corsa with 64569. The only reason why i asked because i done a oil change the other day with part synthetic oil when it gets really hot the timing chain start to knock against the casing

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
I use that castrol high mileage stuff for engines over 75000. As I have 153000 on the clock lol, that's good stuff i think. I think it protects the engine more.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yer that what i was goin to get but the halfords man said no use this because it is so much better i was like ok but i dunno because if it is that it aint cheap is it to have the timing chain n the tensoir done

craig p.s if anyone else have ideas please put them down

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
When did you last have the timing belt changed? I've had mine done about a month ago & that made the engine sound quieter.
Don't go with what Halfords employees suggest. Go with what you think is best.

The oil shouldn't affect the timing belt knocking though.

Are you sure it's the timing belt knocking? I looked in my Haynes Manual for ya:

Possibilites:

• Worn big-end bearings (regular heavy knocking)
  • Worn main bearings (rumbling & knocking)
  • Piston slap (When cold)
  • Ancillary component fault (water pump, alternator etc)

Hope this helps. Get a garage to have a look if in doubt.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no mine is a chain not a belt because it is defo coming form the top of the engine and it just seem as the oil gets hot it is thin and the chain start knocking

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
That might be a coincidence. You know what cars are like! :laugh: Try changing the oil again, worth a shot. It's the cheapest option first.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i know but it is not cheap if you have to have the lot done. but you that oil what you have over 75000 is the a more thicker oil because then oil what i used is like water you mite aswel say lol

craig

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
I would never use halfords oil, like lyds said, use Castrol GTX high mileage, thats what i use and you know my car has done less that 75k, if you want a thinner oil then get some with a different viscosity.

When oil heats up it gets thinner thats completely normal.

i would of thought that tapping noise would of would stopped after you've done an oil change, you thought about popping down halfords and getting that hydraulic tappet cleaner we saw?

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Nooo it won't do anything bad. On the back of the can it says that it preserves the engine seals & guards against engine wear. I think it's just thicker oil. Wilkinsons sell it cheaper than Halfords. So get it from there. I don't think it's synthetic either.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hiya matt yer i am thinking about taking a little walk down there and i no i thought it would of went but it does until the oil really gets warm and then the noise comes back then last night the chain started it hit the casing a little abit n thank for all the info Lyds_corsa_b you have been a great help i just thought i ask and see what people say

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
hmm chain shouldnt hit the casing that not good, are you sure? i might have to pop over sometime and have a listen, mine taps when its cold but goes away after about 2 minutes, havent heard of it when it starts to tap when it gets warm. what oil did you put in 10w40?

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
hiya matt yer i am thinking about taking a little walk down there and i no i thought it would of went but it does until the oil really gets warm and then the noise comes back then last night the chain started it hit the casing a little abit n thank for all the info Lyds_corsa_b you have been a great help i just thought i ask and see what people say
No problem :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yer i am using 10w/40 but it is part synthetic oil because of my taps they said it could calm down the noise but it dont ********s lol. the thing is matt i washed my car last nite n let the engine run where i had the exhast on for bout 5 to 10 mins and then dad took it out and had a good go in it and after when we bring it back that when the kncokin started to happen

craig

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
It might be the tensioners although i cant see why, you only chained the oil. Like the car you test drove and the chain or tensioner failed if remember, was that what it was?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yer but the thing is that was on all the time but this one only started last nite and i satred her up quickly and she was fine

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
If it doesnt do it anymore and is just a one off then dont think you should really worry.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts