All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Have just turned 19 and carried on my education at college.Im doin a Two year course (BTEC National Certifacte in Business) which is full time 35hrs a weeek,this will take me till im 21 then i can progress onto a Business Degree.

Alot of my friends have packed college in and are working and earning around 13-15k a year and seem to think its amazing money! Well its ok if you still live at home, but unfortanatley in the big bad real world it wont get you very far!

My main concern now is that i have a few friends that have spent years in college/Uni and taken the academic route and they seem to have really crappy low paid jobs with great qualifactions! I also know a large number of people who left school with not even 1 GCSE and are making 20k+ :eek:

So my question is do you personally think that college is worth the effort? and does it make a big difference to you in the future when looking for a well payed job? and would you rather be over qualified for a job or apply with nothing to your name and would you be willing to be skint for 4/5 years from 16+ to achive your ideal Job?

Sorry for the rant im just curious to see what everyone thinks about it :p

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
i wouldnt want to get myself in any debt to be honest. so i would look for a haif decent job now.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats the good thing about college! courses are now free to people upto the age of 25 due to a change in government legislation too bad about uni tho :shocked:

·
The 2nd coming
22,451 Posts
When getting your first / second job college / education matter. After a few years working you've gained experience and that's what matters!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok no worries just wanted to see what people thought! Im gona stick at i and hopefully its gona up my chances of gettin a good payed job :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cheers mate :) if only i could turn back the clock to when i was 16 and do my GCS'E'S again and work hard but i thought i new it all back then :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Well put it this way. I went to college & hated it. Everyone said it'd be so much different to school & yet the lecturers treat you like kids. I got 4 A Levels in subjects like Art & Graphics & I'm in a Call Centre job. Random really. But I'm much happier working for a living now. In my opinion I think working your way up through a job is better. At the moment I'm doing the equivalent to an NVQ which will result in a payrise & also strengthen my CV.

·
The 2nd coming
22,451 Posts
haha same as ;) But i managed to land on my feet after college and get some experience!

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
luckily i still have another year :)

then i can decided what to do. although i just want a normal everyday job now.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
If you think about its worth it in the long run, becuase all what your doing will be/can be added to your CV later on, i went to college to do an Level 3 NVQ in Administration now im not sure how that will help me when/if i get into policing, but its still there as a good reference, it surprises me as some of my friends from school are really clever got A's & B's, and working at Tescos :confused: just dont pack it in. :)

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
If you think about its worth it in the long run, becuase all what your doing will be/can be added to your CV later on, i went to college to do an Level 3 NVQ in Administration now im not sure how that will help me when/if i get into policing, but its still there as a good reference, it surprises me as some of my friends from school are really clever got A's & B's, and working at Tescos :confused: just dont pack it in. :)
Even if you get qualifications, you then need to go through finding a job suitable for the qualifications you've got & that could take years. It's just sod's law.
Then you've gotta impress the interviewer & then a lot of employers ask for experience!! Arghh!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I went straight from school to college for two years, at times i hated it but at times i loved it.. I did childcare and at 18 am on £12k a year which isn't too bad.. But if i didn't do it at college i would be on a LOT less!

I think it depends what your doing in college and how much you enjoy it, my boyfriend did three years doing ict and now hates it so never did anything with it..

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No Problem dearing! I think once people have left college they rush straight into any old job because of the prospect of having money! I personally think that you should look through what qualifcations you have gained then try and find a job with in the sector you have your qualifications in!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts