All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

New here and straight in with a question.....
I have a friend who wants me to have a look at her car for her, it has a knocking in one of the rear wheels and feels a bit loose so I reckon it could be the wheel bearing.
I already know that the corsa has two possible types of wheel bearing, one being a taper bearing and the other a sleve bearing, if it's the taper bearing I can probably just clean it, repack it with fresh grease and refit it or if it's knackered it's easy enough to replace.
If it's the sleve bearing type is there anything that can be done with it or do I need to swap it for a new one and if so is there an easy way to remove it without a puller, Im assuming it's going to be pretty tight on the stub axle or does it come off with the break drum ?????
any advice will be gratefully accepted

The car is a 56 plate 1.2

Cheers....Gary

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
rear bearing is tapered.

I'd probably jut buy the bearing as they're only a couple quid, then have a look at it... I'd imagine it's goosed though if the wheel itself is wobbling... if it looks ok, give it a clean and new grease and if that doesn't help, fit the new bearing, if it's fixed then just return the unopened bearing

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies :)

So would a 56 reg be a C ?

175Nm.........that's massive, I dont think my torque wrench even goes that high

any tips for doing the job........anything I should look out for.......I've done wheel bearings on other cars in the past but they have all been taper bearings so I have no experience with sleve bearings

Cheers

·
Registered
260 Posts
I thought that might have been the case. I remember having a go at a Corsa B hub the once in a scrap yard and it just wouldn't budge. I heard about 150Nm, but I would trust taurus' judgement over mine ;)

I would see if you can get it off, if you can, you should be able to get it back on, and find someone with a torque wrench that that goes that high to make sure it's torqued correctly...
If not, tighten it up as much as you can and a garage may have to finish the job, if you can't torque it high enough. Shouldn't cost too much for them to remove a wheel and tighten it.

Last one I had done on the B I had a small garage do it (laziness), and it should only be around 25Nm, nipped up, I think they did it to the C settings, and bearing just got eaten and the wheel locked during rush hour :palm: funny looking back on it now though.

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
Thanks for the replies :)

So would a 56 reg be a C ?

175Nm.........that's massive, I dont think my torque wrench even goes that high

any tips for doing the job........anything I should look out for.......I've done wheel bearings on other cars in the past but they have all been taper bearings so I have no experience with sleve bearings

Cheers
Guys usually just do 'em 'f' tight - it does the job.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.