All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there everyone, we've joined you guys this evening, my son and I, he's just passed his test and we got him a 1.0 active twinport corsa on a 54 plate. Had a few problems like you do but by far the most frustrating is water loss..Water in header tank down daily, if don't fill it daily it'll disappear from header tank completely...no sign of rad or hose leaks, oil not affected, renewed recently and still clean,, certainly not rising.Heater works fine and carpets dry, no water on driveway, few mechanics can't offer any ideas, its going sonewhere and if not in oil or inside car or on drive...whats going on?.Answers on post card to .......argh!

Cheers in advance guys
Marc and Joe

·
Banned
885 Posts
Welcome to the Forum both of you.

As you say, it's going somewhere, so if you are sure that there are no external leaks (don't forget that coolant can evaporate when it's leaking from a hot radiator for example) and there are no signs of water beading on the dipstick or oil level rising, maybe it is going out with the exhaust - does it take longer than usual for the cloud of condensation which you can get from exhaust of a cold engine to clear? does it clear at all?

Suggest that you remove the spark plugs, keep them in order and have a look at the 'business end' of them - if they are NOT all of the same appearance, this could be due to contamination by the coolant. The next step would be to carry out a compression test and see how the result of that ties in with any odd looking spark plugs.

If there is loss of compression on one or more cylinders, the cause COULD be a failed head gasket, but it would pay to get the head skimmed and pressure tested to be sure that there are no cracks in it.

Regards.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your advice & your welcome, initially it was running oddly under load in 3rd gear within 24 hrs of buying it, a compression test said that 2 of the 3 cylinders were down...however the odd running disappeared. Another contact highlighted by dianostics that both cam and crank sensors needed replacing, proper vauxhall ones as copies don't work. Then an oil change was done and all ran very well, for about 4 weeks then the water issue started. That would suggest that the HG needs doing...but wouldn't there be water in the oil or is it likely that just water is escaping and not mixing? Still no signs of head gasket from what I can see and others have looked at?

Marc

·
Banned
885 Posts
It is quite possible for coolant to enter thee cylinder(s) and be burned in with the combustion process, rather than getting into the oil, it all depends upon how much is leaking, when and where from.
If this is happening, you will tend to see 'steam' in the exhaust gas, even when the engine is hot.

Regards.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again guys, driving me mad this motor, you know that feeling when you just want to rewind back to the purchase and walk away instead..
Anyway yes will ask for a pressure test...when hot the other day couldn't find any signs of steam and was in dark on very cold night with a torch, hoping something would show..
Sort the test out and report back.
Cheers
Marc

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just a suggestion as i had the same issue up till yesterday, check the EGR adapter (i'm assuming your car is the same as mine and the EGR valve taken away mid-production) on the right hand side of the engine facing the front of the car. Mine was leaking from underneath and running down the bell housing, but as it was hot it was evaporating, took me ages to find it! I bought a new adapter and gasket just to be sure but it solved the problem, seen a few people having the same problem.

Hope you get it sorted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.