All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've recently bought a Corsa 1.3 cdti (54 plate) from a main dealer. It's done about 80k and generally runs v well. However since day 1 I have heard a high pitched whining noise mainly at low speed and low revs, for example while driving in traffic or round a car park. It gets louder as the revs build but eventually is drowned out by the turbo and other things. I took it back to the dealer under waranty and they said it was the alternator pulley. It didn't fix it. They then said water pump which still didn't fix it. After this I took their so called head mechanic out in the car park and he immediately came to the conclusion that it was "resonation from the high pressure fuel hose" and is "as common as you like in 1.3 cdti cars". They say the mountings on the hoses corrode over time and cause it to resonate and that he "could take any 02 plate Corsa out and hear this noise" and this is why they didn't diagnose it straight away. Considering they had this car 3 times to fix it (once they said they couldn't hear a noise until I took another mechanic out in it who immediately heard it but didn't know what it was) I am a little sceptical about this instant diagnosis and I can't find anything about this common problem anywhere on the Internet.

Has anyone else ever heard of this problem or the thing they are claiming it is. Bear in mind all this work has been done under warranty at their cost. If this sounds like I'm being spun a load of lies I would be grateful for some backup on here if I'm gonna go back to a national dealer and tell them they're wrong. Please help. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
i find most whining noises are caused by either a girlfriend or wife... make her get the bus next time and see if that fixes it
haha thats brilliant, but seriously im no mechannic but i cant see that a fuel hose would make any sort of noise, possably a fuel pump but doesnt sound like thats a problem.
Also as you say if it were a common "problem" surely they would have had a few cars back and therefore would have said it was the fuel hose in the first place, i cant say for sure but it sounds like there trying to fob you off mate, good luck getting it sorted:thumbs_up:

Edit:
can you hear the noise while ticking over?
what about when free wheeling?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Edit:
can you hear the noise while ticking over?
what about when free wheeling?
Can't hear it while ticking over or freewheeling. Only when in gear and driving. Not even when revving and stationary. This to me sounds gearbox/clutch like but they are adament that it isn't because supposedly the noise is coming from the other side of the car.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
To be honest i was going to say gearbox but thought it was best to check that it couldnt be herd while freewheeling because else could have been wheel bearings of somthing.

can you check or get vx to check (whithout paying) the gearbox oil?

Other than that im not sure, i have very little mechanical experiance.

To be honest though the fact that it only does it while IN gear narrows it down a bit, im sure someone will be along later to offer more advice:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have now spoken to another branch of the same dealer group and they say they have heard of the problem and it can be fixed by adapting the car with a flexi hose and a pressure regulation valve. This sound familiar to anyone?

·
Pro Spanner Wielder
13,501 Posts
I have now spoken to another branch of the same dealer group and they say they have heard of the problem and it can be fixed by adapting the car with a flexi hose and a pressure regulation valve. This sound familiar to anyone?
their remedy fits their diagnosis, but to be quite honest i dont think their diagnosis is right to begin with...

if you rev it to redline and get the turbo spinning, you're delivering the same amount of fuel to the engine, so if they were correct, then you would hear the whining noise when revving whilst stationary, which is not the case...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if you rev it to redline and get the turbo spinning, you're delivering the same amount of fuel to the engine, so if they were correct, then you would hear the whining noise when revving whilst stationary, which is not the case...
I'd be inclined to agree with you there. I think I might take it to this slightly less useless branch of EH and see what they actually reckon it is. If they, once they've actually inspected the car reckon the same thing then I'll get them to fix it. If not we're back to square one. Now also have a back brake jammed on and can't free it by driving or anything. Not impressed. lol

·
Pro Spanner Wielder
13,501 Posts
I'd be inclined to agree with you there. I think I might take it to this slightly less useless branch of EH and see what they actually reckon it is. If they, once they've actually inspected the car reckon the same thing then I'll get them to fix it. If not we're back to square one. Now also have a back brake jammed on and can't free it by driving or anything. Not impressed. lol
remove the rear wheel and gently but firmyl hit the drum with a hammer (preferable a rubber mallet, but meh), usually unsticks them if driving away doesnt.

good lukc at the other garage :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all
I am new on here and just picked up a corsa 1.3 cdti and i must say i love it,I came across this awsome site and you all seem friendly.

just reading this post with intrest as i have the same problemI have the corsa cdti 1.3 ,Astra cdti and corsa cdti have the same problem and know one seems to be able to come up with the answer.And i was wondering if anyone has come up with the answer,I was thinking it could be feed back from the alternator.My mate had the same on a 10,000 mile corsa but he lived with it. I hope someone comes up trumphs with this one.

Sammy

·
Registered
5 Posts
got the same prob with my 1.3 cdti, between 1 an half and 4 thow on da revs, it sounds like a washer spinning on a loose bolt, its so bl00dy loud, drivin my daft. an on the by pass or motor way. agghhh!!! what the hell is it. i thought belt tensioner, or turbo bearing, alt bearing. i dont know. just want it to stop. can hear it in my sleep. not good lol

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
got the same prob with my 1.3 cdti, between 1 an half and 4 thow on da revs, it sounds like a washer spinning on a loose bolt, its so bl00dy loud, drivin my daft. an on the by pass or motor way. agghhh!!! what the hell is it. i thought belt tensioner, or turbo bearing, alt bearing. i dont know. just want it to stop. can hear it in my sleep. not good lol
I have read through the posts, and I think what would sort that out, is to stop falling asleep at the wheel.
Also, reword your post so other people can read it and maybe make a new post instead of digging up this one which is about 16 months old

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm posting this here in case it helps someone. I test drove a 2006 (C I think) Corsa 1,248cc diesel yesterday. I had decided to buy the car unless the test drive turned up a problem which seemed unlikely as there were only a low 11,000 miles on the car and it appeared to be in excellent condition. There was a fairly loud high pitched noise when I test drove it, only when under power, both cruising and accelerating. When coasting the noise went away. The noise was present in all gears. It seemed loudest in my right ear and did not sound like it was coming from the engine bay. My passenger could also hear the noise. Although tolerable for short drives, I'm certain the noise would become very irritating on longer journeys. It is too loud to ignore.

Thinking perhaps it was a turbo or clutch bearing or such, I told the salesman I would buy it if they fixed the noise. I've driven turbo diesels before and never heard a noise like this. He wrote the below reply today. Note that I do not post his reply to disparage him. People in the area have a good opinion of this used car dealer and he is only passing on what he was told. Perhaps this will help someone else figure out this problem.

Q: Do *all* turbo diesel Corsa's make a loud high pitched whine when under power?

"We have now spoken to the service manager at York, Ward and Rowlett who are the main Vauxhall dealers in Wellingborough on inspection of vehicle he has informed us the sound we are hearing is common on this engine unit to more or lesser degrees and suggests this Corsa is one of the quieter ones. Having said that the sound coming from the fuel return pipe may still not be acceptable to yourself even though it is now slightly quieter but not completely eradicated than when you previously tried it. "

It is a shame because I thought I had found a good very low mileage used diesel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry I know this is dragging up an old post but my partner has just bought a 1.3 06 CDTI which is doing exactly this noise, only in gear and only when in drive not when free wheeling etc...did anyone actually get any outcome with regards rectifying this or is it a live with it item

·
Premium Member
8,351 Posts
i have heard of gearbox failures on these. find a good garage and get them to check.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.