All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1.4 S reg Corsa with an X14XE engine. The problem I have is that there is something making an appaling rattling sound under the bonnet. It is definitely engine speed related. I have removed the auxiliary belt and started it up and it was still there. I took the cam belt cover off and found the belt was rather worn so I have changed that along with the two idlers and the tensioner. AND IT STILL RATTLES. It sounds like it is coming from the alternator area. Has anyone else experienced this? I need your help!!!

·
Registered
713 Posts
also check the oil level, when engines run low it makes an awful sound like that as your describing, as if theres a tin inside with pins/nails/summat metal being shaken about, remember driving my mates car and told him about it and he was like "nah its ok trust me been like that since i had it", soon showed him wrong when i near enough emptied a tub of oil into it and it didnt make the noise afterwards.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I had a bit of rattling too.

All mine was was the clip which holds the bonnet stand(??)

Made a hell of a noise though. Louder than I would have expected it to.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
could be the water pump if its round that area mine rattled alot when the bearings went in it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for your messages.
The oil level is fine. I will check the bonnet catch but I would be surprised if it were that. Water pump seems to be the favourite.
Can anyone tell me why they decided the cam belt should drive the water pump and the importance of the timing mark on the pump sprocket. Surely it cannot make any difference!:confused:

·
Registered
713 Posts
the water pump used to be driven by the fan belts on older cars, but due to that belt being thinner, didnt take overly long for it to wear out and snap, and therefore the engine would overheat as the pump is not working, boom goes engine, as where now being driven by the timing belt which is a lot thicker, therefore takes a longer time to wear out etc. and also now if the fan belt snaps all that happens is you end up with a flat battery, so thats the reasoning behind having it powered by the timing belt.

the joys of living with a mechanic lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Clutch and Sneydster were both correct. I got round to changing the water pump today and at last a quiet running engine. Thanks to all for advice.
BTW understatement of the year "you may need to tap the old water pump with a soft faced hammer to break the seal with the block" yeah right!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts