All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all, really need some help.
The girlfriend corsa (1.2 dual port, 54 plate) has developed a off fault. The wipers will not park on the single wipe and intermittent wipe speeds. If you put them on the normal and fast settings they are fine, park every time.
Because they work on the 2 speeds fine, i don’t think it will be the motor at fault. I’d like to replace/check the relay but I have no idea which relay it is. The standard Vauxhall manual only lists fuses and I don’t have a Haynes manual.
Does anyone have any idea which relay is used for the wipers?
Also has anyone else had this problem and solved it?

Many thanks
Tim

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
I had this happen once and it turned out to be the wiring that provides a second live feed to keep the motor running after the relay has kicked in.

On the intermittent setting it would kick in, do a part sweep and then stop. On mine the wiring had actually broken, but it may be a poor connection somewhere.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had exactly the same problem on my son's Corsa C. Wipers don't park on intermittent. Checked the wiring / relays out. Easiest way to check this out without having to open the body control module is at the wiper motor connector where it goes onto the motor. This is a five pin connector labelled A through to E. A is the yellow wire nearest to the offside of the car, and the others follow on in order. The important one to check for self parking is pin D. This should have a permanent +12V feed. If it has, (as ours did), it proves the wiring and relays are OK. Next I removed the motor / linkage assembly. Once this is off the car, there are three small torx headed screws on the motor case. Remove these and carefully and evenly prise off the cover plate. There are several plastic rivets also holding this but they will release if you are careful. Inside the cover plate you will see three copper fingers. The self park circuit is controlled by the two furthest from the centre of the motor. What happens is these fingers lose their tension and don't make a reliable connection with the round disc below. You may even spot signs of arcing, (a black deposit), on the cover plate just above the outermost contact. On the circular metal disc, on the outer edge will be a notch which is infilled with a nylon piece, (you may need to clear away the grease to see fully). On our motor there was a burn mark where the contact had been arcing. Clean this away. Carefully bend the copper fingers down away from the plate so that they now make a reliable connection on the circular disc when the cover is replaced. Repack with grease and if required use a sealant such as hylomar before replacing the cover plate and the screws. Refit the motor and linkage and you should be in business!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had exactly the same problem on my son's Corsa C. Wipers don't park on intermittent. Checked the wiring / relays out. Easiest way to check this out without having to open the body control module is at the wiper motor connector where it goes onto the motor. This is a five pin connector labelled A through to E. A is the yellow wire nearest to the offside of the car, and the others follow on in order. The important one to check for self parking is pin D. This should have a permanent +12V feed. If it has, (as ours did), it proves the wiring and relays are OK. Next I removed the motor / linkage assembly. Once this is off the car, there are three small torx headed screws on the motor case. Remove these and carefully and evenly prise off the cover plate. There are several plastic rivets also holding this but they will release if you are careful. Inside the cover plate you will see three copper fingers. The self park circuit is controlled by the two furthest from the centre of the motor. What happens is these fingers lose their tension and don't make a reliable connection with the round disc below. You may even spot signs of arcing, (a black deposit), on the cover plate just above the outermost contact. On the circular metal disc, on the outer edge will be a notch which is infilled with a nylon piece, (you may need to clear away the grease to see fully). On our motor there was a burn mark where the contact had been arcing. Clean this away. Carefully bend the copper fingers down away from the plate so that they now make a reliable connection on the circular disc when the cover is replaced. Repack with grease and if required use a sealant such as hylomar before replacing the cover plate and the screws. Refit the motor and linkage and you should be in business!
sorry to bump but i'm having exactly the same problem with my '03 1.2 SXI..

ive followed your directions & stripped the linkage & motor out however you describe 3 torx screws on the motor case and mine has 2 (pic 1). also, inside the motor there are 3 spring loaded copper bushes surrounding the shaft (pics 3&4). so far nothing appears to be out of place. i have already refitted it once and tested but to no avail :shocked: now its stripped off again til ive fixed it, so im left without wipers for the meantime :palm:

is this motor the same as yours? i appreciate you may not recall due to it being ages ago! i just dont want to pull out for a new motor if i can fix it myself :rolleyes:

anyway, if anyone else can help me out i'd very much appreciate it :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2005 Vauxhall corsa van. I followed sparky 101 explanation and it was spot on!

After weeks of getting nowhere, taking relays in and out, checking wiring etc... I removed the cover on the motor and found the copper finger had worn down and it wasn't making a good contact. I put a blob of solder on the end of it and it worked first time!!

I also went down the route of buying a second hand motor only to have the same problem! very frustrating!

If you have this problem I suggest first checking your relays, really awkward getting to the relays because of there position next to the battery!! and then check the internal motor connections.

I had to drill out the rivets to get to the connections but some models have plastics clips apparently?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gearbox - Not motor

Same problem but word of caution - It's not the motor you need to take apart (pictures are for the motor), but the gearbox.
The motor drives a screw which drives a toothed wheel and the output shaft. The copper contacts (fingers) sit on the wheel which is part plastic and part metal.
This allows the connection to sense exactly the same position for each 360° rotation - to park wipers in the correct place.
The cover has 4 x torx bolts and 5 rivets which are easily drilled out.
Bend the copper fingers to make contact with the gear wheel (one or all will be worn).
Refit the 4 x torx bolts and the motor should now park the wipers as design.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the same problem.
can anyone point out the area of fault in a picture?
or maybe a how to guide, as this seems a common fault :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wiper motor

2nd picture down on Chicane's excellent pics shows 4 x torx fasteners and 5 x rivets.

1. Carefully drill out 5 x rivets;
2. remove 4 x torx fasteners;
3. cover plate c/w connector block will prise off and reveal gear wheel and 3 x copper fingers on under side of plate;
4. carefully bend the worn copper finger(s) outwards and it/they will now make contact with the gear wheel once refitted;
5. refit the cover with the 4 x torx fasteners(forget the rivets - one part of the Corsa that's over-engineered);
6. put it all back together. I did this and it worked first time and still is. Will wear again eventually but not bad as a 'fix'.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wiper won't stop

Hi new to all this, can anyone help pls? Re sealed bcm on my corsa to fix water leek now front wipers will not stop? Put the motor on my daughters ant it works as it should, put stalk on her car it all works as it should, swapped small relays around in bcm still got fault also swapped 3yellow relays in fuse box, they stop when I remove them and start when I fit them back?? Help

·
Registered
2 Posts
All sorted I damaged a connector post in the control module when I put it back in place! Pointy pliers and straightened it, wipers sorted! Phew!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Sorry to revisit this problem could any of you direct me to a youtube video which shows how to fix this problem. I have just purchased another motor from a local scrap yard put it on my 2003 1.2 sxi and it has the same problem, so I could repair the motor I took off but need visual help.

·
Banned
885 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.
Don't have any pictures, I'm afraid, but a couple of suggestions:
(1) Did you see the reply that I posted to geoffh on the same subject yesterday?
(2) You could (if you haven't already) try the 'search' box on this forum.
(3) Follow the instructions in THIS thread, taking photographs as you go to help assembly.
(4) Try another forum - ********************* might have something.

Regards
Edit
for ***************** read: the corsa . co. uk ( it obviously doesn't like giving the name of a rival forum)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts