All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

On Friday I had my wiper motor and linkage replaced with one I got from a Vauxhall breakers yard and also fitted some Bosch Aerotwin flat blades on the front and a standard new Bosch blade on the rear.

However, when I use the front blades, I can hear like a whirring noise and was wondering if it may just be that the linkage could do with some wd40 on there, or should I wipe the blades or adjust the arm?

I took it through the car wash to clean the windscreen, but the new blades had been tested a bit by then and the first time there was hardly any screenwash, so wondering if it may be crap on the blades although I think the noise is coming from the drivers side.

I have uploaded a video here.

Thanks.

·
Banned
885 Posts
Wipers

It sounds more like the motor than the blades which is causing the noise.
You could try taking the arms off and seeing if the noise is still there without any load on the motor.
You can (with care), dismantle the motor, checking the bearings, commutator and brushes, but if you have never tried this before, I would suggest that you have a practice run on your old unit.
It is also worth checking that the linkage is free to move, without any tightness.

Regards.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sounds more like the motor than the blades which is causing the noise.
You could try taking the arms off and seeing if the noise is still there without any load on the motor.
You can (with care), dismantle the motor, checking the bearings, commutator and brushes, but if you have never tried this before, I would suggest that you have a practice run on your old unit.
It is also worth checking that the linkage is free to move, without any tightness.

Regards.
Hi,

Thanks for your message.

I have tried putting WD40 on the linkage and the wipers move at the correct speeds I think.

I don't recall hearing the noise when the mechanic tested the motor and linkage without the arms being on.

I thought it was the motor too - does it mean there is a problem? As I got it from a scrap yard with 3months guarantee.

I don't have my old motor to dismantle and I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that.

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
Sounds like a noisy motor to me. When adding lubricant use a spray which contains teflon, bike shops sell it. It works better than WD40 - which is primarily a dispersant rather than a lubricant.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Sounds like a noisy motor to me. When adding lubricant use a spray which contains teflon, bike shops sell it. It works better than WD40 - which is primarily a dispersant rather than a lubricant.
Brilliant thanks for that - is there a specific lubricant you can recommend?

When I get it shall I just spray it onto the linkage and motor whilst the wipers are working at full speed?

My main concern was that it was a faulty motor on its way out! That being said, I have just been in the car and when I washed the screen before setting off the arms didn't move and I had to try it a couple of times before they kicked in. Could this also be a case of just some lubrication being needed?

Cheers again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts